Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I have moved this post to Security awareness

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I want to make sure that, if my iMac were to be stolen together with my Airport Time Capsule, the thief would be unable to find out my password/s. If I go into the Airport utility from my iMac there is a base station password and a wifi password both of which are hidden. For wireless encryption I am using WPA 2 Personal.

I know what my network password is and, as it has the the same number of letters, I presume they are the same. As they are hidden and are located in my keychain does this mean that a thief would be unable to access them? Can I access them?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If a thief gets hold of your iMac and TC, and he gains access to the iMac, he can steal everything very easily. All he has to do is reset the keychain and all your passwords are gone. If you're worried about that sort of thing, you should setup a firmware password on the iMac and use FileVault encryption. Then, if the iMac is stolen and even if the hard drive should be removed, the data would be inaccessible. Kind of drastic protection to use, but if it is something that concerns you.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.