Problem started today

Reaction score
I am the only user of my MacBook Air. Today all off a sudden when I switched on it asked for account verification.
This is the first time it has happened.
It is annoying to have to put in my name and password each time. I have arthritis so lots of typing is painful.
The - sign next to the user account is not illuminated so I am unable to delete the guest account.
It has never been used--ever. Any ideas?
I looked up it as a topic but it gave me 2 file names that I cannot locate on my computer.
Thanks in advance!!!

Reaction score
I don't think you can delete the Guest account but you can turn it off. Click the little orange lock at the bottom of the window. It will ask for your password. Input it. Now click on the Guest account. Make sure everything is UNchecked there.
That - under the Login Options is for the startup items, not the accounts.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have clicked on the padlock and there is nothing ticked in the alt user box nd the padlock is now on to no avail. It is just inconvenient. I have been a Mac user for 27 years and have never experienced this before

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
nd the padlock is now on to no avail
What does that mean, exactly? Is it no longer unlocking when you provide an admin password? In System Preferences/Users & Groups, click on Login Options and unlock the padlock, then make sure that automatic login is not set to "Off." I believe Apple now sets that to a default of being ON for all users.

OP
M
Reaction score
The padlock where the users and groups are, I was advised to unlock it and the relock it when I had unchecked the alternative user but it only asks for a admin password on my primary account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
you can disable the need to sign in by going to:

>system preferences
>security & privacy
>general
>uncheck the box requiring a password after sleep
>uncheck the box "disable" automatic log-in

But these steps would leave your Mac open to anyone who could get their hands on it. It's not something I would advise but if you're happy to do so....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have both of those unchecked, but my Mac is a Mini, so it does not travel. I don't need it to be that secure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The padlock where the users and groups are, I was advised to unlock it and the relock it when I had unchecked the alternative user but it only asks for a admin password on my primary account.
That is correct. It asks for an admin account password and from there one can do whatever is needed for all accounts. It doesn't ask for a separate password to enable changing each account.

If you have the boxes set as nickyr says to do, try a reboot of the system to see if the change has been applied.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sadly this hadn't worked.
The following are not visible

>uncheck the box requiring a
password after sleep
>uncheck the box "disable" automatic
log-in
=20
I believe this possibility began after downloading the Apple security patch?
MickyTeddy

Reaction score
Your preference pane doesn't look like this? I'm running High Sierra with the latest security patch.

Security & Privacy 2017-12-03 15-57-19.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.