• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie audio help PLEASE!!!

Reaction score
I really hope there is a fix to the issue I am having. I created a video in iMovie that I plan to show to a group this weekend. The video consists of pictures and video clips all set to a backing track that I imported. All the imported video is muted, the only audio is the mp3 that I imported. When I watch the completed video within the iMovie app, the audio track plays in stereo, however when I export it; whether saving it to my camera roll, exporting to email, YouTube or iMovie theater, the audio track goes to mono. This is driving me nuts and I can't figure out why it's doing that. Somebody please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Presuming this is on iOS? Is the OS and iMovie up to date?

Is it exporting as mono to both channels or just exporting to the left or right?

Does this happen with all files? I'm aware of an old bug that exported joint stereo MP3s as mono but thought it had been fixed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply. Yes it's IOS and everything is up to date last time I checked but I will double check. It's exporting as mono to both channels, so everything sits right in the middle. The MP3 is a track I produced in protools if that makes any difference at all. I made another test project using only pictures, no video, and the audio exported to stereo. So it has something to do with using video clips in the project that's causing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If the videos are mono it could be erroneously using them as a template for the export despite being muted.

Try detaching the audio and then removing it

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah I've done that too multiple times. Once I learned how to do that, I felt for sure that would fix it, but it didn't. I'm at a loss. I assume it maybe has something to do with doing the entire project on my iphone rather than using a Mac computer. I don't know why that would be the case; its a relatively simple project; just pictures and video clips intertwined with a backing track, but nothing else makes sense. Thank you for trying to help. If you have any more ideas I'm all ears. I just can't find where anyone else has ever had this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could be a bug in iMovie. What about trying another app?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.