Non Deletion of e-mails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Hello gang. Since upgrading to High Sierra last night I am having a right job trying to delete e-mails.
Evidentially I am not the only one. When I try to delete an e-mail I get the following message:"The IMAP command “UID COPY” (to Trash) failed for the mailbox “INBOX” with server error: UID COPY Command is not valid in this state"

Anyone having this trouble or better still got a fix.

Cheers.

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK Gents, I got this one sussed. Thanks to a friend of mine that is running High Sierra.

If any of you come across this problem the answer is to close down any Anti-Virus you may be running. Or alter the anti-virus so that it doesn't check e-mails as they come in. He was running Sophos and after a lengthy chat with Apple that narrowed it down to Sophos. I in turn closed down ClamXAV and bingo, managed to get all my unwanted e-mails deleted no hassle.

So there is an answer. Hopefully Apple will come out with a patch.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like we have said numerous times.... There are no known viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac. Malware yes, for which you can run the free version of Malwarebytes. My advice is to remove ClamXav and to tell your friend to remove Sophos. AV software for the Mac usually causes more problems than it solves. ;D

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi chscag. I have done. I removed ClamXAV and advised my friend to remove sophos. I didn't have a clue he was running it to be honest. I only ran ClamXAV as a precaution as I knew there where no native Virii on Mac, but thought it a good idea to have something running just to be on the safe side as you never know what might turn up.

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an update Gents:

Even with ClamXav out of the way this problem still exists. At first I thought I had nailed it, but no.
There are people that have upgraded to High Sierra that are still having problems with Mail. We have narrowed it down to a problem, we think, at Yahoo. Nearly everyone having problems are with Yahoo Mail. We thought that Yahoo would have seen these problems when the Beta was out, of course that is assuming that Yahoo had Beta to start with.

The problems we are having are: Unable to Delete some mail to the trash. They just come back up again with "The IMAP command “UID COPY” (to Trash) failed for the mailbox “INBOX” with server error: UID COPY Command is not valid in this state".

There are quite a few having this problem.

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: Yahoo Mail have accepted some the blame on this matter. They, "It's said" are working with Apple to rectify the problem.

Reaction score
And now there is an update to High Sierra that is supposed to correct the Yahoo mail deletion problem!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.