Hello, I'm new here.

Reaction score
Roch, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K 27inches 2017 Sierra 10.12.6 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Radeon 5
Hello friends,

this is my first visit to your huge forum. However it seems a little daunting so far. I don't know how to update my profile, or how to add a photo. Also, why am I seeing posts from 2013 or 2015?

At present, I haven't got my Apple Mac, it's in transit. I may get it this afternoon, or tomorrow. So I'm currently typing on my 7 year old Dell PC. I look forward to familiarising myself with the Apple way of computing.

Frank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Hiya, welcome. The forum is a treasure trove of information and enormous! You will be seeing old threads if you have searched on a specific topic. However, any thread will have the date of the last post as well as the start date.

To get started, you enter all your profile information and photo in Settings. Be careful with the size of photos as the system will reject any which are too big. Reduce them via File > Export > (reduce to at least medium). They will save to your Mac desktop.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 14.33.55.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Hello ckristoff, Welcome to the Forum.

If you can, go into your signature part and set up as much information about your new machine as possible. This will help members determine which machine, Operating System and all relevant specs so they can determine the best help necassary.

May your stay be long and trouble free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mojave 10.14.3, Late 2015, 21.5" display, 2.8ghz, 16GB
Frank....I just climbed onboard here about 6 weeks ago and this place is crawling with good info and great people willing to help out. I am new to the Mac world so am trying to absorb what I can......trying to teach an old dog some new tricks! Enjoy.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K 27inches 2017 Sierra 10.12.6 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Radeon 5
Friends, thank you so much for your welcome, and your replies.

I'm picking up my Mac, from Curry's Haverfordwest store, around 6pm tomorrow evening. Cannot wait!

Frank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mojave 10.14.3, Late 2015, 21.5" display, 2.8ghz, 16GB
Frank, as was mentioned, a good thing to do early as many us have done is to list your computers credentials in your profile so that when you have a question, people can immediately see your computer's specs and give you accurate information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Friends, thank you so much for your welcome, and your replies.

I'm picking up my Mac, from Curry's Haverfordwest store, around 6pm tomorrow evening. Cannot wait!

Frank.

Is it home yet? :D

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Sue, there was a delay in picking up my Mac. Well it's here now and if you read this, you know I managed to come online!

1 question I have is, where do I find my Apple I.D. or account? Apparently, I bought Cloud through Curry's, so I probably don't need iCloud? I bought a 2TB external hardive, which I haven't installed yet; I'm assuming that needs to be formatted? Where I found the spec. details of my Mac, I saw a button saying Software Update - I don't need this?
When I've installed the hard drive, do I back-up my Mac onto it and how do I do this please? Sorry for all the questions - I'm sure I'll have more, at another time. I've been on Youtube and seen a 4K video on full screen - simply fantastic! Frank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Answered what I can. Many here much more expert than me!

1 question I have is, where do I find my Apple I.D. or account?

Easiest is to go to https://appleid.apple.com/ Make sure you remember your Apple ID - log is somewhere safe as it's a pain if you forget. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203993

Apparently, I bought Cloud through Curry's, so I probably don't need iCloud?

You get 5GB of free storage with iCloud; more with a monthly subscription. If Currys have sold you theirs, it's not economic to boost the Apple version but see how much you use over the next 12 months and compare with prices with Apple. Some people (like me) don't use the cloud very much. Except for calendar, contacts, etc which iCloud syncs to my other Apple devices, I rely on my external hard drive for back up.

I bought a 2TB external hard drive, which I haven't installed yet; I'm assuming that needs to be formatted?
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-format-storage-drive-for-mac-usb-3541758/

Where I found the spec. details of my Mac, I saw a button saying Software Update - I don't need this?

Clicking on this will tell you whether or not an update is available. You could have the latest OS (High Sierra) or Sierra 10.12.6 installed. If 'High Sierra' is not already installed, you may like to wait until teething problems are sorted before updating. I am. Depending on what you have on your Mac, others may suggest extra 'insurance'.

When I've installed the hard drive, do I back-up my Mac onto it and how do I do this please?

Plug the drive into a USB and go to the toolbar and find Time Machine - the clock symbol. Click on 'Open Time Machine Preferences' > Select Drive and select your hard drive. The first back up will take a-g-e-s but subsequent ones are usually quick because only the new data is copied. When it's finished you need to open Finder (square blue/white square with smiley face in Dock) and eject the hard drive by clicking on the arrow beside it, or dragging the name to Trash (waste bin icon in Dock). Any peripherals like this always have to be dismounted otherwise you get messages saying there may be damage.

Don't be tempted to install any virus protection software - and I hope Currys haven't talked you into buying any (if so, don't install and ask for a refund) - as Macs do not need extra protection. Something for malware (Malware Bytes, free) is advised. Onyx (free) is recommended for identifying and cleaning up.

GOOD LUCK :D

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Sue, I've just managed to register my Apple I.D. I've seen elsewhere that I won't need High Sierra. Thank you for explaining about the hard drive - I'm not sure I fully understand about how to dismount it after use? This is an Apple quirk? And yes, Curry's in their glory sold me McAfee and I think they installed it. Don't worry I won't renew it next year.

How do I go about printing stuff, like your reply above. I think I saw on Youtube, a way for the right click to work. I'll have to find it. For Cloud, I think I may try the one Curry's supplied. I bought a Mac magazine today, they suggest using the cloud on Google. What do you think? Not sure about using cloud, that is why I bought a hard drive!

Ok, so I can try Malware Bytes? On the PC I used to see on web pages https in green. What does Apple use, in order to identify safe websites?

Thank you once again for your help Sue. You are a star!

Frank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Duh, when I advised dismounting the hard drive, I was thinking of the way I use mine with my MBP - about every two weeks. Yours is a desktop so you can leave it plugged in permanently and it will back up continuously.

https in green is the same for Mac.

Printing options
1) File > Print
2) Cmd + P

Most of the key commands are the same as in Windows but some of the keys have different names - eg Ctrl in Windows is the Cmd key in Mac. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht201236 A handy one is screenshot: Cmd+Shift+3 foe entire screen; Cmd+Shift+4 to select specific area.

Although you bought your Mac from Currys, Apple stores offer free one-hour workshops in a range of topics. https://www.apple.com/uk/today/

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Sue, thank you for your valuable advice.

Yes, my hard drive is connected to the Mac. I've also connected the Apple disc drive to the Mac, so all 4 USB ports are used up. If I want to charge my keyboard or mouse, I'll have to unplug my photo printer. Reading the leaflet for the disc drive, it explains that it can be connect to Mac with a cable that has the C fitting! Question to Apple - why don't you supply this cable in the first place? It appears Apple always wants us to spend money - usually in their direction! So I'm assuming I don't need to use that dismounting function, with the 2 units I've connected today.

I'll take a look at the workshop link you've supplied. I think even an old git like me, will manage somehow!

Frank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I'm assuming I don't need to use that dismounting function, with the 2 units I've connected today.

Not unless you want to free up a port! Anything with an arrow beside it in Finder needs dismounting if you want to unplug. My external drive shown here.
Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 10.08.06.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hello

Welcome from a fellow South Wales member :)

There's loads of great advice on this site from very knowledgeable members.

Re your new purchase, you definitely do NOT NEED McAfee or any AV software. If it's been installed then uninstall it now.

All you need for safe browsing are:

- safe browsing habits
- extensions such as Adblock Plus and Ghostery (in the menu bar navigate to Safari,then Safari Extensions)
- Malwarebytes which you can run from time to time to check you've not picked up any malware. https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Another good app to have is Onyx. Most on here use it. I run it every 3 months or so. https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Good luck, Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Welcome. You could always buy a USB hub if you don't have a enough ports. Also, in a few weeks I would definitely upgrade to High Sierra. Its always best to keep upgraded unless you have older software or hardware that wont work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
If you do buy a USB Hub make sure it's the self powered type.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Randolph, I'm afraid I've ordered one that just plugs in. I did the same with my PC.

Frank.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Sue, I'll try to remember that. Working the Apple way will take getting used to.

By the way, silly question time, how do I bookmark websites on Safari. During my Internet Explorer days, I found it easy. Using Google Chrome, I didn't understand their system, so all my saved websites, are logged in an address book! Why not?::Mischievous:

Frank.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello nickyr , so I have to uninstall McAfee.

The extensions in Safari, do I find them and turn them on?

So I need to get Malwarebytes and Onyx?

Thanks for the advice.

Frank.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello docx,

I appreciate the need to keep software up to date. I've only had my Mac a few days, and it came with what I've got. So my machine is fresh. In any case, I wouldn't know how to do the upgrade. I never did it on a PC.

Frank.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.