Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be very careful about contacting Equifax. They have a hidden clause that states if you contact them you assume responsibility. That was pointed out last night on TV. There is an opt out statement that you need to send to them in writing.

BTW, anyone who has credit in the US will have some sort of information on Equifax as well as the two other credit bureaus.

Might be a good time to buy Identity Theft protection. I highly recommend that everyone have it for themselves and immediate family members. You can do a Google search on Identity Theft and compare which to buy. That information is updated on a regular basis.

M

MacInWin

Be very careful about contacting Equifax. They have a hidden clause that states if you contact them you assume responsibility. That was pointed out last night on TV. There is an opt out statement that you need to send to them in writing.
From what I read, the clause is in the details if you sign up for their protection scheme. And what it says is that you cannot sue them or join in any class action lawsuit. They are taking a lot of heat over that. I don't plan to sign up, but I did check and they reported that my data probably was NOT compromised. Of course, the OPM leak already has my data out there, so I already have all sorts of protections in place.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Of course, the OPM leak already has my data out there, so I already have all sorts of protections in place.

Same here Jake. Since I'm a retired federal employee I was notified of that several years ago. I believe both of us are still receiving free identity theft monitoring?

M

MacInWin

I don't know, Charlie. I thought it had a time limit of some sort. The real issue is that the OPM leak was of practically everything about us because it was application for security clearance. Much worse than anything Equifax might have had. I've signed up for my own identity theft warning services, plus I have all my credit cards on notification for each transaction. Means I get a ton of texts, but I'm ok with that. Better than making a claim later!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.