A new guy on the block!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Good morning all, this morning only 30 minutes ago I saw on the Yahoo home page a write-up on software called ScanGuard. Now I may have missed it before but this is the first I have seen about it; does any member know anything about it? I am really quite happy with the security software that is supplied with my Apple products with the exception of having MalwareBytes installed. The article on ScanGuard is very well written and very persuasive but I would expect nothing less in reality. Unless I hear differently I shall not be doing a download of the software but thought I would bring it to the attention of our experts on the forum.
Very best regards From Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
It is unnecessary and honestly, I have heard about it scarcely throughout my team in researching security products, that alone is a good avoidance factor. No matter how good something is written, I think Malwarebytes have you covered on pretty much anything you might need security wise. Also, many popular security vendors deem Scanguard as malicious in some way. Discounting all that, if you are an aware internet user, you won't need it.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Josh, I am not surprised by your reply, it was just that I had not come across ScanGuard before. I have never felt the need for more than MalwareBytes and Ghostery which seem to be all that I really need.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just treat it as a scam. Even unpopular in the Windows world also.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, Thank you Josh and Harry for your replies. Your advice is exactly what I thought, I only put it on here to bring it to the attention of newer members.

Very best regards from Keith in England.

Reaction score
I am glad you got your answer. Overall, there is no anti-virus or anti-malware software that will protect you 100%. So in every case, you have to be super aware of what you are doing on the internet, where you are browsing and so on. Avoid shady links, suspicious emails, and illegal files. If you need to use torrents, make sure to get only the reputable ones or do a thorough check of the files before downloading. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.