AceInstaller.dmg (please help!)

Reaction score
Hi,

I've downloaded something that I thought was genuine and installed it, I thought it was strange because it just went straight through without anything popping up. The installer was called 'AceInstaller.dmg' and I've googled it to no avail, although I found one thread saying that it was something to do with the mackeeper virus, but I can't find anything relating to that on my system as I've had the joy of experiencing that before.

Does anybody know anything at all about this? And if there is a way to remove it without having to back up all my files (and no, Time Machine hasn't been set up. I'm an idiot, yes).

Any help would be much appreciated because I'm slightly worried that my computer is now at risk and files which are irreplaceable may be lost. I tried to post this on the community on the apple website but it kept saying I couldn't so I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong section.

Thanks in advance.

(running macOS Sierra 10.12.5, Macbook Pro mid-2012)

Reaction score
Exactly how did you install it? Did you just double click it? That would just mount the .dmg. What was inside the .dmg? Look on the desktop and see if there is a 'drive' called 'AceInstaller.dmg'. If there is, just trash it.

OP
C
Reaction score
I clicked on the installer and ran the mounted disc and it said it had installed something and the disc was mounted. I tried ejecting it and it said that it was in use by the system admin and then disappeared after a couple of minutes.

I've gone thru everything but can't seem to find any files that have been installed and have ran the malware program you've suggested to which there were a couple of files that have been deleted but they didn't have any reference to this aceinstaller at all.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Doesn't anybody think to Google stuff before they install it? If you do and you find nothing I would be immediately suspect.

OP
C
Reaction score
As I said I thought what I had downloaded was genuine and was only until I had ran the installer and nothing appeared and I couldn't eject the disc I realised something was wrong. Thanks everybody else for their help.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Doesn't anybody think to Google stuff before they install it? If you do and you find nothing I would be immediately suspect.

Not always security bells will ring. Especially if you are a casual user, sometimes you just don't think about the threats. And besides, it most likely came with a torrent or through other illegal means, maybe he/she thought it was part of the installation process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.