Skype video doesn't work

ntw

Reaction score
Hi I am having a problem with skype on my Mac Pro.
When I skype family in the U.K.the Skypecamera is always turned off, when I turn it on it shares my screen It won't just change to video. This happens if I make a video call or accept one. My camera works in photobooth so I know it is program specific and it works when I check display under preference in skype it shows up. My Mac Pro spec are below. It's driving me crazy, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch Early 2015)

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel core i5

Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Skype Version 7.56 (776)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're using the latest version of Skype according to their web site. Have you tried uninstalling Skype and reinstalling? It also might be a good idea to let us know which version of OS X you're currently running. Also make sure you have nothing else running when using Skype. If all else fails you might try contacting Skype support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What do you see in the Skype window when you go to Skype and selecting "Skype," > "Preferences" > "Audio/Video."

What if any choices are there for selecting Camera and does anything show in that window???

Also, what do you see if anything for video if you open Face Time.app???

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Also worth running Disk Utility > First Aid (found in your Applications folder). There are conflicting opinions about Permissions repair which are fixed by running First Aid but should also be fixed during shut down and reboot, non the less it's easy and worth a try. As mentioned a complete uninstal and reinstall sometimes fixes glitches like this if it is not a hardware issue. I would suggest downloading a free little utility called App Trap. This monitors applications which are trashed (by dragging to Trash) and gives you the option to trash all associated files. It is a handy way of ensuring all associated preferences and settings are removed as well as the app itself. One little proviso though, if you are updating an app do not choose to trash associated files. App Trap gives you the option and I always say no. If you choose yes the updated app will startup like a first time installation which has it's uses but not normally desirable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.