Which AV do you use?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Could you share which Anti Virus software do you use if at all? I just got new Mac and I'm considering if I should get one.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do not get an AV. Please do a search in this sub-forum to read up on. Anti Virus is a waste of money and resources on your Mac. Be mindful of WHERE you get your software and you'll be fine..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you'll find that many of our members do not use such programs on their Macs. This is partly due to the fact that many of these programs are resource hogs that slow performance but the main reasons are:

1. There is a degree of malware protection built into MacOS and it is updated regularly.
2. Because there are currently no actual Mac viruses loose "in the wild" the virus definitions these programs download to check against are usually based on definitions of Windows viruses which don't infect Macs but can infect any Windows partitions on your Mac. There is malware that affects Macs buts these programs as a rule don't address that issue. See this thread for more details. The post by Member Randy B. Singer is particularly informative.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I hope the "answer" is none!

But I do accept that users and members have their rightful preferences and, as indicated by Moderator Slydude, the fulsome summary on our Forums by Randy B. Singer is a gem of information.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0 i7,4gb ram 500 hd
I absolutely do not use any anti virus programs on my Mac and have never had an issue, plus I have a separate windows laptop for weather radar so I absolutely will not use a garbage os on my beautiful MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well not since Classic OS 7, 8 and 9 days as there are no viruses. Sure some malware and adware, but Malwarebytes for Mac, Ghostery and AdBlock Plus keep them at bay.

Reaction score
I Use ESET Multi Device Internet Security or Bitdefender multi device Total Security.

My main home PC's and 1 laptop are on Windows 10 so I need to cover them. My 2015 Macbook Pro has a Bootcamp partition so I need to cover it as well. I know covering the MacOS is probably unnecessary but I do it anyway since it costs me nothing. My philosophy is it is better to be safe than sorry...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No it is not probably unnecessary ~ just plain unnecessary!

BitDefender is a resource hog so if you see your Mac slowing down you know where to start.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My philosophy is it is better to be safe than sorry...

Not exactly. Yes...I understand what you're saying:)...but what if running an AV app on your Mac has a downside? One of the downside's of some AV apps is system slowdowns. Some AV apps require some system resources to do what they do...and this can slow things down from time to time. Thus if you're really not getting any benefits from an AV app on a Mac...then running an AV app may only have a downside (which is system slowdowns).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I use common sense computing and try to avoid questionable sites.

Reaction score
Mac by default has minimum 3 layers of protection. Updated software, Gatekeeper, firewault, iCloud. All of these and a couple more features allow for increased security. Commonly known though, that no protection will keep you safe 100%. It is recommended to follow a couple of common practices to make it near 100%.

• Avoid shady links or links you don't recognize
  • Be aware where you are browsing
  • Don't click on ads
  • Avoid downloading files that you don't recognize or if the website looks unsafe

Overall you should be good. If you do want increased protection, you could consider running an anti-malware solution of some form. Good luck!

Reaction score
At this time, I am using ESET and have not noticed any slowdown of MacOS using it. I have plenty of memory and a SSD so a performance hit is not a concern.

Since I my Macbook Pro is on a network with Windows PC's and I notice no performance degradation I see no reason not to have a bit of extra protection...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
So, do you wear a bulletproof vest all the time? In the shower? Same difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
I use Mac OS X.

:)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
So, do you wear a bulletproof vest all the time? In the shower? Same difference.

If you lived in Chicago, yes, yes you would..:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have anti-virus running between my brain and right index finger. That's all I need!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
These videos are 6-7 years old so they prove nothing...

A video that's 24 hours old has the same potential for being "out of date." Things change all the time.

At the time anything is recorded/documented, it is believed to be true. Anything can change at any time. Even though those two videos are seven and six years old, respectively, they contain a lot of information that is still true today. Instead of focusing on the dates that the videos were published, learn the content. Do your own research based on it. You'll find that you'll be able to draw the same conclusions today that were drawn when they were first published.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.