Wireless internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
I have a 20 inch iMac and I dont know anything about wireless internet. What would I need to connect wirelessly to the internet in my house?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 - iPod Touch - iPod Video (30GB) - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen - Airport Extreme&Express
airport extreme - simply as that - maybe someone can say more about it!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)
Airport Express may be a cheaper solution ($129 as opposed to $199). It's also a little more portable (not as important for some, but very nice when you have a laptop like me!) Though if you do not have a broadband (cable or dsl) connection then you might need to go with an Extreme. Either way, both are very easy to use and you should be able to be up and running in no time. Just follow the simple setup assitant and you're good to go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
If you want to save yourself some money, and your imac has the airport card, you can use almost any wireless adsl modem router (make sure it has the modem built in if you do not have a DSL modem.)

You do not need an airport base-station, which, IMHO, while they look nice, are expensive for what they are.

I am using a totally uncommon wireless adsl modem router with 4 ethernet ports and it works flawlessly with the Macs - I am also using AOL as my ISP (have been with them 7 years) and also have xbox live for 360 connected to it too, no problems whatsoever.

A lot of people use the D-Link adsl modem routers, and the Netgear ones for example, the one I have is an eTec - which is very uncommon.

Reaction score
I had a Linksys router/access point (802.11b) for years and used it with the new iMac 20 and iBook I just bought. Both saw the wireless immediately without issue (I had it WEP protected so had to put in the password).

I just upgraded to an Airport Extreme -- mainly because I wanted 802.11g AND a print server. Combining these made the Extreme a reasonable buy (especially via eBay). It was relatively easy setting up the Extreme. I also bought an Express to extend the range of the wireless through my 2-story house without drops. The Extreme and the Express talk to each other flawlessly.

If you don't care about having a print server, I'd probably look at NetGear, D-Link or Linksys for a simple 802.11g router/access point to hook to your existing cable modem or DSL modem (which I assume you have).

Reaction score
I use a Linksys WRT54G to connect a desktop PC and two notebooks to a wireless network. My MBP has had NO problems accessing the wireless network through the Linksys. The airport express and airport extreme are both expensive for their purpose. A normal wireless router will perform the job. I paid $50 for the router and its eqiupped with WEP and WPA security protocols.

S

superjli

My AirPort is kinda sketchy with my current wireless router. I've got a D-Link AirPlus Extreme G wireless router that works perfectly with the other PCs in my house. Occasionally though, my AirPort will not be able to connect to my network even though the PCs are fine. I've had to unplug and replug the power cord to the wireless router in order to get the AirPort to connect.

Does anyone else have this problem? And am I right in that the problem is the router not the AirPort?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.