Probable Phishing Scam

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I just received an email which at first glance might appear to be from Apple. The content of the message basically says I have unread messages that will be deleted in 7 days. The email also contains a link which supposedly leads to an FAQ. I did not follow any links in the message because the following things raised my suspicions:

1. I had just checked email on my Apple accounts two or three minutes before so there shouldn't be any unread emails (other than in the spam filter). If those got deleted I don't care.
2. The email address that message is supposed to have come from seems to have no connection whatsoever to Apple ([email protected]).

Reaction score
I just received an email which at first glance might appear to be from Apple. The content of the message basically says I have unread messages that will be deleted in 7 days. The email also contains a link which supposedly leads to an FAQ. I did not follow any links in the message because the following things raised my suspicions:

1. I had just checked email on my Apple accounts two or three minutes before so there shouldn't be any unread emails (other than in the spam filter). If those got deleted I don't care.
2. The email address that message is supposed to have come from seems to have no connection whatsoever to Apple ([email protected]).

I receive fake e-mails from "Apple" several times a week.

It's always wise not to click on any links in a suspect e-mail, and to instead hover your cursor over any links in such an e-mail to see where they really go, as you have done.

You can report such e-mails to Apple by forwarding the entire message as an attachment to:

[email protected]

Also see:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204759

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This one was almost slick enough to work. As I mentioned the initial red flag was that I had literally just read all other emails in that account other than the spam. Only then did I think to check the link.

I don't get as many of those as you do but I've gotten a few. The last one was obviously a fake -- complete with numerous grammatical errors. I suspect that the sender spoke English as a second language or used a translation program. I suspect the original language was Russian or something similar.

Thanks for the reminder about reporting it to Apple. I often forget to do that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is that Slydude fellow Phishing in the Red River again? The Catfish are running big this time of year. LOL.

Hey Sly: Thanks for the tip and the reminder from Randy about reporting those to Apple. I get those every once in awhile but fortunately most are filtered out by Gmail. What amazes me is how those Phishers get my email address, name, and sometimes even a subject like from something I may have ordered on line.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This is kind of scam to look out for - allegedly from "Apple iTunes Store". The only thing I've taken out is my email address (which was correct):

S.1.png

They key is look at the source of the email:

S.2.png

Ian

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is that Slydude fellow Phishing in the Red River again? The Catfish are running big this time of year. LOL.

Hey Sly: Thanks for the tip and the reminder from Randy about reporting those to Apple. I get those every once in awhile but fortunately most are filtered out by Gmail. What amazes me is how those Phishers get my email address, name, and sometimes even a subject like from something I may have ordered on line.
I've often wondered that myself.

I haven't been fishing in ages. Heck I'm not even sure I remember how to bait a hook.:[

This is kind of scam to look out for - allegedly from "Apple iTunes Store". The only thing I've taken out is my email address (which was correct):

View attachment 26541

They key is look at the source of the email:

View attachment 26542

Ian
How right you are Ian. The claim that I had unread messages raised my suspicions initially since I shouldn't have had any unread email in that or any other account. The only thing it might have been was stuff in the junk folder. Checking the email confirmed my suspicions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've often wondered that myself.

I haven't been fishing in ages. Heck I'm not even sure I remember how to bait a hook.:[
… … …

Why bother with any Louisiana fishing when it seems you live in the heart of delicious Louisiana crawfish country…!!! ;D

- Patrick
======

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You've got a good point there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.