Ransomware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC with an M1 chip &16 GB Memory
When I bought my MAC about a year ago I was told "Do Not put any Anti Virus programs on your Mac". With all the news about this ransomware going on now, is that still valuable advice and why?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note that the current rash of ransomware does not affect Macs. The impact has been on Windows machines especially those running older versions such as XP, and Win 2000. Microsoft has since sent out AV updates to protect those older machines. Our recommendation is to use a scanning program such as "Malwarebytes Anti Malware" and do not open or click on email links that you do not know the source.

If you wish to run a Mac AV program, make sure you choose one that does not over use resources and will slow down your machine. We leave the decision to use an AV program on your Mac up to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.