• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

facebook videos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
i normally access Facebook on iPhone or iPad.

my niece has posted a few really cute videos of her new baby girl and i would like to have them.
of course, they are too large to send as attachment via email so that is not an option.

I have tried to save or download them to my macbook air but cannot figure out how to do that.
is that a possibility? and is it a relatively easy process or do I need additional app to do this?

thnx

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
i believe my niece shot with her phone, don't think it is iPhone.
ok will see if i can her to message me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
i believe my niece shot with her phone, don't think it is iPhone.
ok will see if i can her to message me.

If it isn't an iOS device, it won't have Apple's "Messages" application and will not be able to send you the full video in full quality. You'll want to try the Facebook post I linked to in that case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
i normally access Facebook on iPhone or iPad.

my niece has posted a few really cute videos of her new baby girl and i would like to have them.
of course, they are too large to send as attachment via email so that is not an option.

I have tried to save or download them to my macbook air but cannot figure out how to do that.
is that a possibility? and is it a relatively easy process or do I need additional app to do this?

Hi Lori - the previous link given piqued my interest - I've never downloaded a video from FB - but I found one about a blind guy who uses a guide pony - from the link's description, I started the video in FB clicked and copied and pasted the URL into my Notes app on my MBPro and made the changes described (use you Air for these steps) (see first pic below); then I opened a browser page in Safari and pasted the re-named URL which opened the page shown in the 2nd pic; I started the video and right-clicked - a 'download video' option was offered (3rd pic); finally I opened Finder and looked in my 'Downloads Folder' - the video was there as an MP4 movie and plays fine on my laptop (4th pic) - see if these steps work for you. Dave :)
FB1.png
FB2.png
FB3.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 1.54.58 PM.png

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And it works! Exactly as Dave said. Just found the same video, followed the steps, and there is the video in my Downloads folder.

Like Dave, I've never felt the need to download a video before, but this method works perfectly.

Thanks Dave.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
And it works! Exactly as Dave said. Just found the same video, followed the steps, and there is the video in my Downloads folder.

Like Dave, I've never felt the need to download a video before, but this method works perfectly.

Thanks Dave.

Ian

Hi Ian - thanks - I just followed the guidelines in the link and was amazed that it worked beautifully; hope that the pics help our OP - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Two other options:

*click the down arrow above the video and select save - it will be saved in facebook under Saved in the Explore menu on the left
* ask your niece to send via WhatsApp (you both need to download the free app, if you haven't already, and have your phone numbers on each other's phones. Once received they will be stored in Camera Roll on your phone.

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.27.44.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.