iphoto to MacBook - Unrecognized format

Reaction score
When attempting to import photo's from iPhone to my MacBook Pro get a message saying that the file is in an unrecognized format. Is the an easy way to resolve this? I've tried to create a new library in iPhoto and that didn't work. I tried checking my drive and that was ok. I look online for some help but the most current entry I found was from 2011. Any help would be appreciated. I found an app that said it could do it but that was $200.00. A little too much for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

You should be able to import photos from your iPhone to your MacBook Pro by using the Image Capture program. (Applications -> Image Capture.app) Just attach your iPhone using the USB connector and then open Image Capture and use the import function.

There is no need to create a new library. You didn't mention which MacBook Pro you have or what version of OS X you're running but be advised that Apple is no longer supporting the iPhoto program. Ever since OS X Yosemite, the program of choice is "Photos". However, iPhoto will still work for awhile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Please provide details about your Mac and iPhone, models and macOS or iOS version #'s? Also, are these photos you have taken with the iPhone, or are they images that may have been included with texts, or downloaded from internet?

OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

You should be able to import photos from your iPhone to your MacBook Pro by using the Image Capture program. (Applications -> Image Capture.app) Just attach your iPhone using the USB connector and then open Image Capture and use the import function.

There is no need to create a new library. You didn't mention which MacBook Pro you have or what version of OS X you're running but be advised that Apple is no longer supporting the iPhoto program. Ever since OS X Yosemite, the program of choice is "Photos". However, iPhoto will still work for awhile.

OS v10.12.4 (16E195)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Thanks. Is there a quick way to move all photo's from iPhoto to Photo's?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's automatic. Just open the Photos program and you should be able to "see" your iPhotos library. Make sure all your photos and images are listed and after that you can continue to use the Photos program instead of iPhoto. Also, if you're using the latest version of iOS on your iPhone it should already have the Photos program listed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes I have the latest version. I can now see all of the photo's I had in iPhoto but haven't been able to bring over the separate iPhone library that I had. That one I think is just a matter of time because it was quite huge. Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Same issue!

I am having the same issue... I exported JPG files off my iPhone using image capture on my Mac. Then, later I tried to import those files to Photos and it gives me the same error message "file not supported" or "unrecognized format".

I have a 2012 MacBook Air running High Sierra 10.13.2, with updated Photos (not iPhotos) album. And my iPhone is a 6S running 11.2.1.

The problem isn't just with photos from my iPhone though, it's not allowing me to import a lot of standalone photos that I had saved on an external drive.

Any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
I am trying to do the same thing. All my photos are older ones on a Gen 1 iPad. They don't show up in image capture at all (only a few newer ones do)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.