My 2016 MBP doesn't see my external superdrive; WHY?

Reaction score
I'm trying to rip several disks to my iTunes collection, and I cannot find my superdrive in order to download a collection of disks I would like to keep in iTunes for playlists.

It is connected via USB 3.0, and has a disc inserted, but I cannot get it to download. HELP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Which superdrive do you have? Is it an Apple Superdrive? If it is, make sure the drive is not upside down - the Apple emblem must be facing down not up. We have seen this a number of times. If the drive is not right side up, it will not work which means your 2016 MacBook Pro will not see it. Let us know.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Magic! I must remember that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Welcome to our forums.

Which superdrive do you have? Is it an Apple Superdrive? If it is, make sure the drive is not upside down - the Apple emblem must be facing down not up. We have seen this a number of times. If the drive is not right side up, it will not work which means your 2016 MacBook Pro will not see it. Let us know.

Well..... It has now started working..... by magic! Thanks

Well Lisel - welcome to the forums! :) But please tell us if Chscag advice did the magic? If not, what else did you do? Thanks - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.