MacBook Pro and Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
I think I know the answer to this, but here goes.

I believe that I cannot run either my MacBook Pro or my MacBook Air attached to an external monitor and wireless mouse/keyboard, with the computer "closed" as I can with the Windows computer I have at work.

Am I correct? I would love to be wrong as I'd like to replace my old 8 or 9 year old iMac with my MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, hooked up that way.

Art

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're referring to what Apple calls "clamshell mode". I believe you can run your MacBook Pro or Air in clamshell mode. Read up on it from the Apple Instructions. By the way, I ran my MacBook that way for years before I sold it. Worked great.

Edit: LOL, Ashwin types faster than me. Those young fellows are just quicker..... :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Am I correct? I would love to be wrong as I'd like to replace my old 8 or 9 year old iMac with my MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, hooked up that way.

In this case it GREAT to be wrong!;)

As Raz0rEdge & chscag already mentioned...you can ABSOLUTELY be able to run a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with the lid closed (Clamshell mode). Been able to do this for years & years & years. In fact...this ability may have originated with Apple portable computers (before the other guys)!:)

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
By the way, I ran my MacBook that way for years before I sold it. Worked great.

Thanks. That's my game plan. Currently backing up data from the iMac.

Next step is to get a 24" monitor. Need to do some research on a monitor purchase.

I assume the monitor should use the existing HDMI outlet on the MacBook?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's probably the easiest way to go but there are ways to use other types of monitor connections as well. I, for example, have a DVI to HDMI adapter. You can plug an HDMI cable into it and then connect the DVI end into a monitor that does not have an HDMI connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.