Best podcast app shared between iOS and MacOS

bpe

Reaction score
I am looking for the best app to listen/watch podcasts that works with and syncs between iOS and MacOS. I have been using Downcast on my iOS devices, but the MacOS version does not have good reviews. Are there any good third party apps or are people using iTunes?
Thanks,
Brian

Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
Why not use iTunes>Podcast on the Mac OS and the Podcasts app on iOS? They are included as part of the OS packages extras I guess you can call them

BG

Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
What podcast app syncs with the iTunes MacOS podcasts?

I could have sworn that I just told you. You should post the OS and iOS versions of the Macs and iDevices involved.

I am answering from my viewpoint using Mac OS 10.11.6 and iOS 9.3.5, but with minor details this is basically the same as other OS and iOS version.

Assuming you already have podcasts in your Mac's iTunes then open iTunes and turn on the iDevice in question. Back in iTunes, click on the iDevice (sometimes this is a button ) and choose Podcasts from the Mac. This will then show you various options for selecting which ones to sync to your device.

When you want to remove any Podcasts from the iDevice, just "un-click" the podcasts to take them off your iDevice and sync.

2. An option I prefer is to make a smart playlist for that (in my case) old time radio show with these parameters:

Match music for all of the following rules:

Name contains (OTR)

Plays is less than 50

Match only checked items

Live updating

This will apply only music (where my radio shows go to) with the caveats of the text (OTR) is somewhere in each album title, and has been played from 0 to 49 (inclusive) times and the album and tracks are "checked". if any of these parameters isn't true. and because of the live updating, it will remove the track from the playlist, on both the Mac and the iDeveice automatically.

Good luck.

BG

iDevice.jpg

iDevice Icon.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
If you go into the iTunes App Store, you can search for Apps Made By Apple. I usually just put Apple in the search bar, but that will also bring up every app with "Apple" in it's name. Apple has made a specific Podcast app, just for the reason you are looking for. Did you search for Podcasts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.