2 inch translucent blue line, 27 mac

Reaction score
mac.jpg
Any clues on this one, I have, from start up, an irritating two-inch translucent blue line on the screen of my iMac 27 mid-2010 OS X with an ATI Radeon thing inside it.

I took the front off and had a poke about to see if it was a loose cable or something and blew away all the dust but life's rarely so easy.

It does disappear every now and then, doesn't broadcast via chromecast. Any clues?

It was a gift to me and i'd kinda like to fix it so would really appreciate any educated guesses.

EDIT: rather spookily it totally disappeared whilst typing this - that only happened three times in the last two months. it'll be back tomorrow I'm sure. If not i'll be sure to mention it!
Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 00.36.11.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is the fault there when you first boot up and if and when the iMac has been shut down for a while, like overnight or longer??

Does the iMac run hot? Like very warm if you put you hand on the top left of the display when facing it???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
I had the same problem with my old 21 inch iMac but I had several of those lines down the screen, about three inches apart. Turned out it was the Graphics Card which Apple replaced free of charge.

OP
A
Reaction score
Is the fault there when you first boot up and if and when the iMac has been shut down for a while, like overnight or longer??

Does the iMac run hot? Like very warm if you put you hand on the top left of the display when facing it???

- Patrick
======

Thanks Patrick, yes it's there from boot up. It does occassionally lessen in intensity after a couple of hours but is there 99.5% of the time. The screen area you mentions is not hot at all. The whole thing is normal enough temperature wise.

OP
A
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my old 21 inch iMac but I had several of those lines down the screen, about three inches apart. Turned out it was the Graphics Card which Apple replaced free of charge.

Im neither the original owner nor is the machine under warranty I don't suppose. The graphics card would seem quite likley.
thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks, as suggested the first is an old fix which my machine tells me it doesn't need. The test also produced no results but thanks again for trying.
Windows all the way!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The card is getting very unstable. Enjoy whilst you can, save the pennies as one should consider crefully before spending money on a seven year old computer.

Having said that, the card is replaceable and here is one, a top 1GB card, from eBay. ifixit.com will have tear downs on the procedure which is difficult. Apple Stores will not do it as it considers your computer 'obsolete'. You may bhave a handy PC technicians experienced with Macs who may quote to do the job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iMac-27-A13...ATI-Radeon-HD-5750-1GB-661-5578-/262844126911

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.