How likely will Windows used External Hard Drive contain files dangerous to Mac?

Reaction score
I have this old external hard drive with personal files (images, photos, videos, music) - personal as I made it, no one else has used it.

But now moving to Mac, I want to put stuff from there to Mac. I could scan it with Windows tools, but that would mean nothing. How big is chance files that came from Windows contain something that could be dangerous to Mac?

I heard using real time scanner for Mac is same as killing it and only recommended tool Malwarebytes does not scan files like that so I'm not sure if there is anything else to do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Windows viruses can not infect your Mac, so no worry there. How useful old Windows files will be is up to you. When I changed over from PCs to a Mac many years ago, I found very few files that I needed. There were some Office files from Word, Powerpoint, etc. that I brought over but nothing else. The free Malwarebytes app is all you need and of course common sense.

OP
G
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Windows viruses can not infect your Mac, so no worry there. How useful old Windows files will be is up to you. When I changed over from PCs to a Mac many years ago, I found very few files that I needed. There were some Office files from Word, Powerpoint, etc. that I brought over but nothing else. The free Malwarebytes app is all you need and of course common sense.

I had this wild thought that maybe Windows got some file meant to harm Mac, but it wasn't detected by windows anti virus. But that's impossible?
Well, those files are kind of like family history for me so I need them all. :D

Thank you for help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
There are no Mac viruses in the wild. There is malware/scareware in the wild. But, if all the files you want to add to your Mac did not come from the internet, then you should be safe to go.

OP
G
Reaction score
There are no Mac viruses in the wild. There is malware/scareware in the wild. But, if all the files you want to add to your Mac did not come from the internet, then you should be safe to go.

Some did - I save quite a bit of photos and images, some older video files too. Guess the question is if risk it minimal and it seems to be. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.