iMac Display issue

Reaction score
I have a 27" iMac that is about 4 years old. Lately I've noticed a discoloration in a small area at the bottom of the screen just left of center. There's a brown "stain" if you will. Almost unnoticeable unless you look for it. Plus - and this might be my imagination - but the screen seems to feel slightly warmer in that area. This discoloration may have been there for a while before I noticed it, not sure. Any ideas what may be causing this and is it cause for alarm? The machine seems to work fine otherwise. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Really need to know more specs for your iMac. Click on the Apple icon, in the upper left corner, then select About This Mac. In the pop up window, it should tell what model and year of iMac, along with OS version, processor, ram and maybe video specs. Let's us know, and we can go from there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a 27" iMac that is about 4 years old. Lately I've noticed a discoloration in a small area at the bottom of the screen just left of center. There's a brown "stain" if you will. Almost unnoticeable unless you look for it. Plus - and this might be my imagination - but the screen seems to feel slightly warmer in that area. This discoloration may have been there for a while before I noticed it, not sure. Any ideas what may be causing this and is it cause for alarm? The machine seems to work fine otherwise. Thanks.

If you do a search about this, you'll find many other owners of an iMac of that vintage have experienced the same thing. What you're seeing is dust sticking to the inside of the glass because of a defective seal or a seal that is worn over time allowing dust to be sucked up from the lower vents on to the inside of the glass. Your iMac draws air from the vent openings under the display and exhausts out the top vents by means of convection and the fans. The brown spot can only be removed by disassembling the glass from the front of the display. Not something that you can do yourself.

OP
S
Reaction score
OK thanks. I did find a few search results similar to my issue but not quite the same. That, combined with this perceived warm spot associated with it, led me to believe it might be some other issue. It might just be me but the screen seems warmer on that spot. The spot doesn't hender me from editing, which is what I use the iMac for. But I was alarmed this might be the beginning of a bigger issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.