Loss of graphics with Safari (and spinning balls)

Reaction score
I wonder if someone could advise me please. Safari has stopped showing most of the graphics when I download. They work with other browsers. I can't think of anything I might have done to cause this.
I have however have quite a lot of spinning balls since I upgraded to El Capitan.
Any suggestions please? Thanks in advance.
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well it is hard to guess without model details, how much memory installed, how much free space on the hard drive for starters?

Then are you running any cleaning utilities and antivirus software and malware cleaners?

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry Harry2448.
I have a MacbookAir, running MacOs 10.11.6 (15G31) with 250gb hard drive and 6gb available.
I am not running any cleaning utility, antivirus software or malware cleaners. It's only .jpg graphics that Safari cannot handle. Firefox handles them with no problem.
Paul (Many thanks and the seasons greetings)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry Harry2448.
I have a MacbookAir, running MacOs 10.11.6 (15G31) with 250gb hard drive and 6gb available.

Hello Paul.:)

- Which MacBook Air model do you have (there are about 30+ models).:)
- How much RAM does it have?
- 6gig of free storage space is not enough (big time not enough).

If this is a newer MacBook Air…with at least 4gig of RAM…that paltry 6gig of free storage space is very likely the issue.

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Paul most agree you need at least 10-15% free space on your hard drive for it to work anywhere near capacity. This explains your problems. Time for a good cleanout or a larger hard drive.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you Nick & Harry. My model details as follows:
Model: Macbook Air4.1, 11in, mid 2011
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
MacAir-X1116 startup disk
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
I obviously need to strip down some memory content. I thought 6gb was a lot (perhaps because I started on a 48k Apple II !) But I wonder why FirFox can handle the .jpg and Safari cannot.
It's going to be a big job! Thanks again. Paul

OP
P
Reaction score
I have now reduced my disk usage by 10% altogether but I still have the problem with Safari not handling .jpgs. This happened only recently. Firefox can handle the .jpgs no problem. I really want to use Safari but without .jpgs it is very limited.

What do you think I should do now please? Paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Paul. Can you describe in detail what is happening? What exactly is being done?

In post #1 you mentioned "downloading". Are you really "downloading" jpegs...or do you mean that some or all graphics on webpages are not loading?

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Pigoo3. I mean any webpages I look at in the Safari browser will exclude all JPG displays. FireFox will display the JPGS however. This has just recently occurred and I cannot think of anything I could have done to trigger this. Paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Paul. Are you running any sort of ad-blockers?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not that I am aware of. I have searched the Safari Preferences.

I run "Ghostery" and "AdBlock+". These both show up "Safari Preferences">>"Extensions" tab.

Another thing you could try is running the free maintenance app called "Onyx". After downloading & installing...just click on the "Automation" button.

See if this helps.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Paul, do you have a second user account (administrator or standard) on your Mac? If so try logging into that account and see if Safari behaves the same way. It helps if this second account does not have any login items attached to it (check the Users & Groups preference pane).

OP
P
Reaction score
Slydude, thanks, I checked.
Safari can open JPEG files correctly in my second user account, but not in my primary user account.
Both the accounts can handle JPEG files if not called for by Safari.
Only JPEG files fail when called by Safari in my primary account.
What do you think? Is that a clue? I do hope so!
Paul

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks ferrarr. I ran through the reset program as you advised but with no improvement. Safari still cannot call a JPEG file - in the primary account (but it can in he secondary account). Very frustrating! Paul

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sometimes when a program functions properly in one count and doesn't function in another account that suggests a problem with a preference file.

Here are a couple of things you can try:
1. Run the maintenance utility Onyx and see if that helps. Make sure to download the correct version for your OS X version.
2. When a program works in one account and not in another it is an indication that there is a problem with the preference files for that program. Log into the account that is causing a problem. Open the library folder insider your user account and open that folder. Inside the Preferences folder will be several Safari preferences. Move those preferences to a new location.

Once you have moved the old Safari preferences out of the preferences folder launch Safari. This should cause new preferences to be created. Test and see if the jpegs now show properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Or maybe try doing a cold boot using Safe Boot Mode which should disable any non-apple stuff from running.

If things then work, there's something non-apple in that users stuff causing the problem, and all one has to do is figure out which one. :|

- Patrick
==========

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you Slydude
1. My system won't permit me to run Onyx as it says it can include Malware. Can you recommend a truly reliable source?
2. 'open the library folder inside the user account' - I have no library folder in my user accounts (not like there used to be). There is just one library folder in the main system. (I have often wondered about this, how is it that the accounts seem to run independently). Should I therefore be removing the preference files from the main system? Paul

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you pm-r but I tried the Safe Boot Mode but it is still the same, Safari cannot call a JPEG file. Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.