Unable to open Time Machine Backups. 'DiskImageMounter.app' Can't be opened

Reaction score
I'm running a 2011 MacBookPro with Sierra (10.12.2) on it. My backups to my Time Capsule are working, and backing up, however, I can't open the sparsebundle files on the the Time Machine, I keep getting the message "The application DiskImageMounter.app can't be opened -36"

My son's MacBookPro (running Mountain Lion) will open the sparse bundle files as we had to re-install a backup after a hard drive failure and fitting a replacement drive.

I've re-installed the Seirra OS and used Disk Utility to check the Time Capsule drive, but the message is still coming up. This behaviour only started After the 10.12.2 update.

Can anyone help?

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. It started while running the 10.12.2 Beta a few weeks ago. I have two Airport Extreme's I do encrypted time machine backups to. It started with one, and now both will not work. If I connect the hard drive via USB to the Mac I can mount the sparsebundle and/or do a backup. If I connect the hard drive to the Airport Extreme, I cannot mount the sparsebundle (I get the message you got), and of course I cannot do a time machine backup. It did not resolve itself with the final 10.12.2 release or with the 10.12.3 Beta (16D12b). I've tried reformatting the drive and such to no avail...

Reaction score
I'm also experiencing the same issue since the 10.12.2 Sierra update running on a Mac Mini mid 2010. Similarly I've reinstalled the Sierra OS and run Disk Utility but the problem persists. In addition I've also verified the backups,booted in safe mode and attempted to mount the sparsebundle via guest user and other user accounts.

Reaction score
Same problem, I know 2 workarounds:

1. Open sparsebundle from Disk Utility (File->Open Disk Image)

2. Open sparsebundle from Terminal "hdiutil attach /Volumes/somepath/your.sparsebundle"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I for one will not use Time Machine because of its vagaries. Switch to cloning CarbonCopyCloner or SuderDuper with the added advantage the cloned backup to an external hard drive is bootable in case of an emergency.

OP
ConkersM9
Reaction score
Same problem, I know 2 workarounds:

1. Open sparsebundle from Disk Utility (File->Open Disk Image)

2. Open sparsebundle from Terminal "hdiutil attach /Volumes/somepath/your.sparsebundle"

Thanks for your advice, Workaround 1 works. From other replies, it's probably the 10.12.2 update that's at fault

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
Can't open sparse bundles in Sierra on network drive

Yes, I think I have found out a bit more about this. I just updated from El Capitan 10.11.6 to Sierra 10.12.2. I then found that I can not longer open the sparse bundle files that Time Machine records on Time Capsules. That used to work. Now when I try to open one via Finder I get the message 'DiskImageMounter.app' Can't be opened with a -35. I talked to AppleCare and they would not assist me. I did a series of tests and found the issue is with any sparse bundle on a network drive. The same bundles on the same Time Capsule still open OK from El Capitan, and Sierra can still open bundles on directly connected drives.

In my testing I eliminated Time machine as the issue by doing the fallowing. I set up an external USB drive (actually a thumb drive) and put a regular file and a sparse bundle created with Disk Utility on it. The sparse bundle opens fine under El Capitan both when it is directly connected to the computer and when it is connected via the network by being plugged into the Time Capsule (little know by most that you can have network mounted drives like a NAS off the back of a Time Capsule, but you can although it is only USB 2).

However when running under Sierra 10.12.2 the sparse bundle only opens when the drive is directly connected. It gives that error message when it is connected through the Time Capsule network path.

I don't have a version of Sierra before 10.12.2 so I can not test for certain if the problem came in earlier versions of Sierra, but one the notes here suggests it has been there since Beta.

Since I have not seen anything suggesting Apple intentionally disabled opening sparsebundles (Time Machine or others) on network drives I have to conclude this is a bug.

By the way I just tested the first workaround Chuck Norris 2 suggested (open in Disk Utility) and it worked - thanks! As with when I created my test sparse bundle it uses little noticed functions buried in the menu dropdown and I had not thought to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
Able to back up, & also prior to 10.12.2?

I am having the same problem. It started while running the 10.12.2 Beta a few weeks ago. I have two Airport Extreme's I do encrypted time machine backups to. It started with one, and now both will not work. If I connect the hard drive via USB to the Mac I can mount the sparsebundle and/or do a backup. If I connect the hard drive to the Airport Extreme, I cannot mount the sparsebundle (I get the message you got), and of course I cannot do a time machine backup. It did not resolve itself with the final 10.12.2 release or with the 10.12.3 Beta (16D12b). I've tried reformatting the drive and such to no avail...

See my comment on this issue in general.

On not being able to make a backup - even though I can't open the Time Machine sparse bundles on the Time Capsule I can mount them on directly connected drives, and I am successfully backing up to them on two Time Capsules with the released 10.12.2.

I am wondering if anyone can confirm the problem was not present in the prior Sierra releases.

OP
ConkersM9
Reaction score
See my comment on this issue in general.

On not being able to make a backup - even though I can't open the Time Machine sparse bundles on the Time Capsule I can mount them on directly connected drives, and I am successfully backing up to them on two Time Capsules with the released 10.12.2.

I am wondering if anyone can confirm the problem was not present in the prior Sierra releases.

It was working before the update to 10.12.2. I've spoken to a couple of the Apple Genius staff at my local store who have encountered it in store and are recommending the Disk Utility route. Mine is still backing up as normal it's just opening it that's the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup - Finder any network mounted disk, not just Time Machine - introduced in 10.12.2

It was working before the update to 10.12.2. I've spoken to a couple of the Apple Genius staff at my local store who have encountered it in store and are recommending the Disk Utility route. Mine is still backing up as normal it's just opening it that's the problem.

Thanks!

It sure does look like a real live bug introduced in 10.12.2 - most likely somewhere around the interface between Finder and the open of network sparsebundles regardless of their creator - e.g. not a Time Machine issue, which is what triggered the AppleCare refusal to deal with it - he said they only support looking at the backups via the Enter Time Machine interface and looking from Finder was "not supported". It was after that that I did my testing to isolate and separate the problem from Time Machine and focus on network mounted disks from any source.

Reaction score
Can not read files after updating to macOS 10.12.2 in Time Capsule

greetings to all.

I'm also suffering from this problem lately and I started to do tests with the third party application "Auto Mounter" https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/automounter/id1160435653?mt=12

I seem to have solved the problem temporarily.
Using the protocol smb:// did not help me because it is 50% slower than for afp:// when copying large amounts of data. Or files that weigh more than 4GB.

Now you can try using the shortcut directly without buying the application.
in the finder Cmd+K afp://nametimecapsule.local/nameinternaldisk
example in my case.. afp://Time-Capsule.local/AirPort Disk

I hope it helps.

View attachment 25578

links
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7788357
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7801787
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7798133
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=122975
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7791762

Reaction score
"The application DiskImageMounter.app can't be opened -36"

- I did enter straight to 10.12.2.
- can´t enter to Time Capsule and the files it contains

what to do ?

Jesse

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It sounds like your Time Capsule may have suffered file corruption. Error 36 denotes input - output errors (corruption). You might try to do a repair on the Time Capsule from Disk Utility, however, I don't know how effective that will be.

Also, it would help to answer your question a bit better if you supplied us with more info. How old is the TC and which Mac do you have?

Reaction score
Yes thanks,

I think it is the same problem many others have encountered with Sierra & Time Machine lately..

My specs MBP (MID2012) 15" + Time Capsule from 2011 I think..

.. after installing Sierra I have been having no access to Time Machine.

From external disk I can enter Time Machine& Capsule but can find only backups from the year 2015 and earlier.

I am interested to access backups from later times like 2016 and 2017.

Welcome to our forums.

It sounds like your Time Capsule may have suffered file corruption. Error 36 denotes input - output errors (corruption). You might try to do a repair on the Time Capsule from Disk Utility, however, I don't know how effective that will be.

Also, it would help to answer your question a bit better if you supplied us with more info. How old is the TC and which Mac do you have?

Reaction score
+++

the disk utility inform that the disk is not repairable.

As stated by many people this problem should be fixed by 10.12.3... ?

I am really curious to find a solution to this problem !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As stated by many people this problem should be fixed by 10.12.3... ?

My God!!! When is Apple going to supply a decent working reliable and fully tested macOS????

Maybe they need to go back to the days when they had to try harder and do things better. SNORT!!! :Angry-Tongue:

Sorry for my SNORT, but this latest macOS non-working crap stuff is getting to be a bit much for an old Mac user like myself. And yes I've tried their latest but gave up and went back to Mavericks where things work almost as well as I expect and about the best after Snow Leopard IMHO. Gheese.

PS: Maybe try CCC or SD! as a backup replacement.

- Patrick
==========

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Did you try the suggestions in Post #4 above? the Disk Utility option worked for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My God!!! When is Apple going to supply a decent working reliable and fully tested macOS????

Maybe they need to go back to the days when they had to try harder and do things better. SNORT!!!

Not a very helpful response! Perhaps better to just not reply..... ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try the suggestions in Post #4 above? the Disk Utility option worked for me.

Apparently he tried to use Disk Utility according to his last post but was informed the disk was not repairable. However, he may not have used the procedure as was outlined in post #4 as you indicated. Having never dealt with a TC, I know the repair is different from what would be used to repair a standard external hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.