• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

3 ply..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
A week or so back I realised that I was going to have to do some repairs on a couple of our window shutters. So along to our local wood supplier, Audoise d'Bois, and got what the French call trois ply for the horizontal and diagonal battons. It's ply with attitude, 3 ply at 1 1/4" thick!. After I had done the repairs I had a bit left. About 6" X 14"

and wondered what it would turn like. So I cut it in 1/2 and glued the 2 bits together to form a 2 1/2" 6 ply square, hot glued it to a chuck and spun it up. It's just pine and not a lot to loose. With the plies being so thic there's not much glue so not much of a turning problem and this was the result

Just less than 6" diameter, finished with a couple of coats of hardwax oil and microcrystaline wax. I like it :mrgreen:

I had to make a new one for the second side, si I have some more to play with now. It turns quite nicely too

A bonus is that the shutters don't look bad either :Smirk::Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
John - very nice turned 'segmented' bowl from scrap ply - congrats! :)

I use a lot of plywood, usually cabinet grade or Baltic birch, in my basement shop, but none like your 3-ply - Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very nice John. Now you're going to have to complete that set of salad bowls for your wife. LOL ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Nice.

And I find it quite surprising there were no apparent voids between any of the inner plys. And I've never seen or come across any 3 ply at 1 1/4" thick. Most here would be of 5 ply or more.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice work. Warning to you creative types: If my wife starts expecting me to do things like this it will not end well. I will be looking for someone to blame.:Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice work. Warning to you creative types: If my wife starts expecting me to do things like this it will not end well. I will be looking for someone to blame.:Mischievous:

Hey Sly - as you likely know, making that bowl requires a lathe and plenty of specific tools - take a look at the video below of making a simple walnut bowl - I have a nice basement workshop, but decided years ago not to get into lathe work, so an absent machine in my shop; however, such a creative hobby and we own a bunch of turned woodworking projects purchased over the years. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Always wanted a lathe. Unfortunately, the time I have available for woodwork doesn't justify the expenditure.

Nice work, Jonzjob. I see from your profile that you hail from my absolute favourite place on earth. There's nowhere quite like Carcassonne.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Ta for the comments folks. It certainly has got attitude for ply!! Until I got it I had never seen any 'ply' like it before. And as has been said, anywhere elkse and it would have been at least 5 ply, probably 7!

You can see one small dark patch on it. That was the only void in it so I stuffed hard it with fine shavings, dropped a few drops of runny cyano onto it, let it dry and sanded it down. Even close up it looks good!!

That walnut bowl is rather nice, but I use a slightly different approach. I would mount the prepped blank onto a screw chuck and turn the base first. That way I turn a mounting foot straight into the base and finish both that and the outside shape then sand everything to 400 grit, nice and smooth. Then reverse it and mount it on a scroll chuck using the recess turned in thebase. This is an example of the recess

Then the middle comes out and finish sanded. Then I normally use hardwax oil for the finish. It's foods safe and just about bullet proof!

Salad bowls?? Will this one do? Tulip wood from a tree that was on the banks of the Canal du Midi, just down the road from us. About 10 1/2" diameter. The 4 little ones are cherry and the 'odd' one is Russian olive

I'm not sure how many 'salad' bowls we have, but more than one me-thinks!!

One of the biggest problems with turning is that it's a very slippery slope and once on it yer hooked :Mischievous::Mischievous:

You can blame me any time Sly, I'm far enough away init!

Carcassonne for anyone who doesn't know it is a lovely place to live near. So much history and contrast in the scenery. So much good wine tooooo :Cool::Cool: 12 years now and the sight of the Cité with the Pyranese in the background still takes my breath away! This was taken about 300 yards from our gate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again John - beautiful bowls! And the view of the mountains - believe I've seen that pic before - assume the food is also great in the region! Dave :)

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to reply to that one Dave. The food is great, not all the time though, there's good and bad everywhere. I love the duck here. A duck breast is enough for 2, or one if yer very hungry!

Back in the workshop again. This time it was a case of what do you get for a good friend on her 80th burfdey when she has everything (???) Well, as the French would say 'un petit rien'. So this is it

It was supposed to have a lip on it but that departed!! Missed me though! I decided that it had to be a simple shape so as not to detract from the pyrogrphy

It's a lump of tulip wood from alongside the Canal du Midi. I quite like it..

I also made a money box while I was in there. It's going to a young brother & sister who have just opened a tearoom in Corsham, SW England, and it depicts, I hope, the name on the place. They are delightful youngsters and I thought that they might appreciate something for their customers to put all the tips in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi John - very nice, as usual - enjoy looking at your work and the links in your signature. I'm working on a walnut picture frame for the photo shown below by David Shipper (photographer from Beaufort, SC) - this is the 3rd pic that I've bought from him - about to round over the outside and inside edges, then some sanding and finishing - will purchase a piece of museum glass up the street at a frame shop - pic is already matted (18" x 24" overall) - just need to find some wall space in the house! We've been collecting art since the late '60s and have TOO MUCH - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.08.06 AM.png

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I look forward to seeing that Dave. How will you do the rounding over? With a router? That's what I used for the money box and with a little bit of tearout when it was cutting against the grain I think it could do with a little TLC from one of my diamond whet stones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I look forward to seeing that Dave. How will you do the rounding over? With a router? That's what I used for the money box and with a little bit of tearout when it was cutting against the grain I think it could do with a little TLC from one of my diamond whet stones?

Hey John - I own at least a half dozen routers (one in a table), various sizes and 1/4" & 1/2" shanks - for the picture frames, I'm using a small Porter-Cable (310 - an oldie model) router w/ a 1/4" round-over bit - I have clear bases purchased from Pat Warner's Website - currently, I have the 'offset base' on the machine which gives me better balance on a narrow strip - just counter-clockwise on the outside, and the opposite for the inside - below a small QS Oak frame that I made last year, the rounder-overs are nicely shown. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 12.53.36 PM.png NoMiterPic2 copy.JPG

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just have one small 1/4" drive Hitache M8V and it's in a table at the moment. I have had it for longer than I can remember and I made up a convex base for it years back. It makes it very good for sign routing and carving. I haven't used it for that for a long time now though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Hi John - finished the frame - made from walnut; pic called 'Bridge to the Stars' by David Shipper out of Beaufort, South Carolina - tried to capture the beauty of this print/framing inside w/ flash and outside (images below) but just does not reflect the true appearance - the top image is the closest, but the walnut is much more beautiful 'in person' - for those interested, the link will take you to Shipper's website - he offers numerous photos of wildlife and landscape scenes, much centered on the Carolina and Georgia coasts (and elsewhere). Dave :)

P1010606.JPG P1010609.JPG

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a lovely frame Dave. I love the grain of walnut and I think that's what we call American black walnut? I have turned some a while back and it smells just like chocolate when being turned.

Can I make a suggestion about the photos? If you lean the frame back a little more it will look square. At the moment it looks a bit odd?

I gave that No.8 money box to the young lady in the the shop on Monday and she was chuffed to death with it and it was put straight on the counter ready for all of the tips they will get!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a lovely frame Dave. I love the grain of walnut and I think that's what we call American black walnut? I have turned some a while back and it smells just like chocolate when being turned.

Can I make a suggestion about the photos? If you lean the frame back a little more it will look square. At the moment it looks a bit odd?

I gave that No.8 money box to the young lady in the the shop on Monday and she was chuffed to death with it and it was put straight on the counter ready for all of the tips they will get!

Thanks John for the comments - I seem to always be in a hurry to take a pic of those framed pieces and the acrylic or glass on the front does not help - must come up w/ a better setup, I guess - BUT, all of my framed pics look great on the wall - ;) Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.