• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Running multiple instances of quicktime for live video

Reaction score
Hi, could anybody help me understand this?

I am trying to figure out a way that I can view live feeds of multiple iOS cameras on my iMac. The best idea/method I have so far is to run multiple instances of the quicktime app, and in each I select New Movie Recording, which allows me to view a live feed of an iOS device connected via lighting cable. It works awesome but Quicktime only allows me to have one live feed open at a time. To get around that, I found out how to open multiple instances of Quicktime simultaneously ( entering open n /Applications/QuickTime\ Player.app in terminal) and I can view multiple live feeds at once. Great! Only problem is for some reason, after I have 2-3 live feeds running, when I try to open anymore, it doesn’t work - it just pops up “The operation could not be completed”. I don’t understand while it would allow 3 but not 4, or sometimes it allows two but not 3. Does anybody know why this would be happening? It doesn’t seem to be a computing power problem as the computer is running just fine up to speed throughout. Does anybody know a solution to this problem? Or a different way to achieve this goal? Thanks! Dan

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've moved this thread to the Movies and Video area as that seems a more appropriate place than the lounge. Perhaps that will lead to a few more answers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.