• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video editor needs advice picking out an external hard drive

Reaction score
Hello! I hope I am posting in the right section.. Let me know if not! First time poster here and excited to be apart of the community..

So I just experienced a terrible situation where I dropped my 1TB WD My passport for mac that was completely full with video files.. I plugged it in to my MacBook and it started making this glitch humming noise. I brought it into a local shop and they said there's nothing they can do and suggested to send it to drive savers... Now I know they are going to charge me around $2000 to recover my data which is insane so I probably will just be forgetting about this hard drive. It's all old movie projects that are complete but still would be great to have...

Anyway, now I'm paranoid and have learned my lesson about having a back up of each hard drive. I have a few more externals that are full with data that need to b backed up- so my questions are:

1. Can I back up all my hard drives to one massive external? Or is it better to just get a separAte external hard drive for each hard drive?

2. I know there are tons of recommendations on the web but was curious what's a good durable hard drive that has low failure rates. I want these hard drives and files to last as long as possible. I should of had a case for my passport..

I'm looking at the GDrive ev ATC USB Portable Hard drive because it looks solid and has good reviews .

Does it matter much between seagate and my passport and others? I want something durable and long lasting.

3. I video edit on Final Cut Pro x and I go through a lot of footage so I'm guessing a HDD will be better for me over a SSD?

4. And finally, anti static bags and a case should be enough for long time storage right?

Thank you for the advice!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.