Website says "Update Flash Player"

Reaction score
I use my Mac (10.11.6) to watch 'Filmon TV' via Safari but this evening for the first time there was no TV. Instead up came a screen message: "Please update your Flash Player Plugin". When I look in Preferences, I see "NPAPI Plug-in version 23.0.0.162 is installed" and another saying "PPAPI Plug-in is not installed". When I hover the cursor over the link on the screen, no URL appears.

On the other hand, when I go to Filmon TV via Chrome, I can receive it without any problem. Furthermore, Filmon TV comes in fine via Safari when I use my iPad.

Having heard stories about Macs and Flash Player, I hesitate to install the PPAPI Plug-in. Is the latter now required to receive FilmonTV via Safari?

I'm also wondering about the absence of a URL when I hover over the link.

Comments greatly appreciated.

M

OP
M
Reaction score
Further to the above, I get the same message via other websites with video content such as the BBC. So I guess something has happened to my Flash.
M

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For Flash specific sites, you are better off using Chrome with its built-in Flash to watch the content as opposed to installing Flash directly on your system. Updates to Chrome will get you newer versions that will make things happy.

Video will work on iPad because the sites detect the iPad and send the video now in Flash format, but rather H264 or HTML5 video formats.

Most sites have switched away from using Flash as their video delivery medium to something like HTML5, but there are holdovers..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.