Beware - yet another scam-phishing email

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Time and again, folks post concerns about scam emails, phishing emails and the like. These seem to be on the increase.

I'm posting one I got today, that at a casual glance seems genuine. Clues to a scam:

If I click on the sender's email, it comes up with "[email protected]"; couldn't possible be from Apple.

Hello - (my email address, redacted by me). Apple always addresses you by the name you used to register with them.

The "clever" bit is that it invites you to click on "App Store Subscription Manager" to cancel and get refund. Don't!

Don't.jpg

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Useful info, Ian. Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I got something similar a while back with a reference to the iTunes Store if I remember correctly. In my case, much like yours, the clue was that the sender's address seem to have nothing to do with Apple, and the email address where I received this piece of junk was one in which I have never used in association with any Apple product.

There were also numerous grammatical errors punctuation errors, and as you mentioned Apple usually refers to you by name but in my case they use the email address as they did with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Time and again, folks post concerns about scam emails, phishing emails and the like. These seem to be on the increase.

I'm posting one I got today, that at a casual glance seems genuine. Clues to a scam:

If I click on the sender's email, it comes up with "[email protected]"; couldn't possible be from Apple.

Hello - (my email address, redacted by me). Apple always addresses you by the name you used to register with them.

The "clever" bit is that it invites you to click on "App Store Subscription Manager" to cancel and get refund. Don't!

Hi Ian - thanks for the posting - I've not seen that one yet, but hopefully will help others! Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.