• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Frame by Frame deleting editor software.

Reaction score
I am seeking a video editing program that will enable me to delete individual frames from an mp4 (or similar) clip.

I have tried splitting clips using Avidemux 2.6 and MP4Splitter without anywhere near the accuracy I need.

Hopefully a software program is available that is either open source (i.e. free) or reasonably priced.

Does anyone know of a frame by frame deleting program, please?

Sincerely, PaulRanger1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Hi Paul, what Mac and Mac OS X version are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac 27, 4Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB, M395X, Pegasus R4, 2015 MPB, 2x 2013 MacBook Air 13s
I am seeking a video editing program that will enable me to delete individual frames from an mp4 (or similar) clip.

I have tried splitting clips using Avidemux 2.6 and MP4Splitter without anywhere near the accuracy I need.

Hopefully a software program is available that is either open source (i.e. free) or reasonably priced.

Does anyone know of a frame by frame deleting program, please?

Sincerely, PaulRanger1.

Any true video editing program will let you delete frames. You then must render and export the edited material. For Macs, possibly the least expensive best program is iMovie. It is easy to use and fast.

If you are talking about specialized utilities to extract or delete frames within a video file without re-rendering, this is difficult to do. MP4 or any H.264 codec is a "long GOP" format. Most of the frames are not even there -- they are eliminated during the encoding process, and only data about frame differences is stored. So deleting a few frames is much more complex than deleting frames from an MJPEG video file where every frame is present as a separate JPG image.

With long GOP formats, deleting frames requires reading the file, decoding and materializing the missing frames, updating the GOP and all relevant data structures, then closing the file and hoping nothing got messed up. On a previous project I tested a lot of these on Windows and they either didn't work at all or still required rendering and re-encoding or seemed to work but messed up the file. In general I don't trust them.

In some cases it wasn't even obvious the file was messed up. Some players would play it but then some editors would reject it. Sometimes other players would crash trying to load it. Sometimes it would play but the head and tail of the extracted clip were mangled or would show problems only in certain players.

If you use any "no encode" split, join or frame delete utility there is a risk it could mess up the file or subtly degrade image quality. Therefore you should extensively test it before committing any important work. This means a lot more quickly playing it in Quicktime or VLC. If you don't have time to do this, I would suggest just sticking with a full-fledged editing program like iMovie, Resolve, or Premiere. Of those Resolve is free but very complex to use -- the manual os over 1,000 pages. iMovie is free or nearly so and easy to use.

OP
PaulRanger1
Reaction score
Hello joema and ferrarr,

Thank you for your kind assistance. I have downloaded DaVinci Resolve V. 12.5 and iMovie V. 10.1.2 from App Store and need to download tutorials for both.

In the late 1990s, I had a video editing program which enabled single video frames to be deleted as required and could save in various movie formats for both Mac OSX and Windows. Alas, I cannot remember what it was called.

I'll try working through various tutorials for both DaVinci Resolve and iMovie and see if I can fathom how to delete frames as necessary. Thanking you again for your generous advice, I remain

Sincerely, PaulRanger1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.