Will El Capitan run Adobe CS5 successfully?

Reaction score
I really need to upgrade from Snow Leopard to El Capitan and need some advice.

Although now retired from full time graphic design I still need access to files created in CS5 and wondered if anyone could tell me if the files would open if I upgrade. In the past I seem to remember when someone asked a similar question that Photoshop and Illustrator were the two usual problem pieces of software, is this still so?

I don't really want to upgrade to CS6 as my use is now limited in comparison to what it used to be although I still use Photoshop pretty regularly.

Any help much appreciated, thanks in anticipation

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey there John. I believe the answer is yes…El Capitan and Adobe CS5 should work fine.:)

But just to be 100% sure. Go to roaring apps.com…and check each individual CS5 app to be sure. Especially the apps you depend on the most.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Nick, looked at roaringapps and they say some problems with InDesign CS5 with El Capitan but none with Yosemite, any ideas as to how I can the final version of that software please.
John

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick, looked at roaringapps and they say some problems with InDesign CS5 with El Capitan but none with Yosemite, any ideas as to how I can the final version of that software please.
John

Need more info John.:) You didn't say what the issue was…and how or why getting the final version would solve things.

Final version should be easy to get. Adobe.com.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I really need to upgrade from Snow Leopard to El Capitan and need some advice.

Although now retired from full time graphic design I still need access to files created in CS5...

Lots of folks have found CS5 to be be very crashy under El Capitan:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1969084

However, there are a number of potential fixes offered by users:
http://capitalmacservice.com/possible-fix-for-mac-adobe-illustrator-cs5-crash-on-exit/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DG52e-mZtQ

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7255060?start=0&tstart=0

Reaction score
I should note that at first CS6 didn't work well under El Capitan either.

From what I understand, Adobe CS6 initially was broken in El Capitan due to El Capitan's lack of support for Java 6, which Adobe CS6 requires. Apparently, that has now been remedied by Apple:
<https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US>

See this video:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdNa60_fC1Y&feature=youtu.be>

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
More importantly perhaps is will CS6 run on Sierra? Might as well start planning ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I use CS6 and have had no issues in El Capitan. If Sierra has issues this will mean no updating to at least two of my macs or finally taking the plunge into Final Cut Pro. We shall see.

I am trying to avoid having to pay a fee to use software. I did try a free year of CC from Adobe as they attempted to move me to the subscription service. It just seemed like I was always updating and having crashes.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Nick,
others are saying CS5 InDesign is "crashy" with El Capitan but Yosemite isn't, it works fine with that. Roaring Apps isn't specific about the problems with CS5 InDesign and El Capitan just that there are "some problems". Sorry, when I said final version I actually meant a final version of Yosemite before it went onto El Capitan, I see it is no longer in the Apps store so I think getting hold it it maybe tricky.
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
John,

If you did not download Yosemite originally then it will be impossible to find. Now if you did download it then it will show in your purchases and you can redownload it. I don't know of any other options.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I actually meant a final version of Yosemite before it went onto El Capitan, I see it is no longer in the Apps store so I think getting hold it it maybe tricky.

Ahh…that's different!;)

Did you ever download Yosemite previously when it was available?

- If so…you should have no troubles getting it again.
- If not…Apple has this nasty habit of removing previous free downloadable version's of the OS when a newer version is released. If you did not download Yosemite before (when it was available)…this is why you don't see it.

Just so you know…there are "entrepreneurs" on eBay that sell Yosemite on a bootable USB stick. I usually see them selling for about $10-$12 bucks. If you decide to go this route…purchase from someone who has sold a lot of them…and check their feedback (before buying).

This way you can me "more sure" that what this person is selling works & contains no problems.

- Nick

p.s. Just a disclaimer. Not sure if folks selling this stuff on eBay is "legal". Purchase at your own discretion.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Nick, sadly I didn't download Yosemite so it looks as though I am in a bit of trouble. I will have a look at ebay and I will take your advice and tread with caution. If all else fails I will have to take a chance on El Capitan.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.