CF card reader not being seen by my iMac/MBP

Reaction score
My iMac is a 2011 model. The last model to have the build-in CD drives. Before Apple made the iMacs thin. My MBP still has actual old-style keys. Not the "flat tile" type found on current Apple keyboards.

I think I still have USB 2.0 ports correct? Is it because I have El Capitan OS X that my older USB 2.0 CF card readers (for my DSLR) isn't being seen by my Apple computers? Ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your 2011 iMac has USB 2.0 only. (The 2012 iMacs and beyond have USB 3.0.) Apple keyboards? Not sure I understand what you mean by old style keys vs the flat style? I have three Apple keyboards: Two wired that came with my iMacs and one wireless. As far as I can tell there is no difference except one is wireless and does not have the numeric keys.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of CF card reader you're referring to ? The built in CF card reader in your 2011 iMac? The built in CF card reader in an iMac is not USB but operates off the PCIe bus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think this was discussed just recently and the 2011 iMac's internal built-in card reader is on a USB bus. At least on the 2011 27" models.

System Info on the OP's iMac should say for sure, or not.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I might be thinking of my iMac. Definitely not USB. (27" 2013 model)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I might be thinking of my iMac. Definitely not USB. (27" 2013 model)

Yup, you got an improved iMac, my 2011 27" iMac definitely lists the internal card reader under the general USB heading.

But just re-reading the OP's post, I'm now wondering if they were referring to problems with the internal card reader or external USB card reader and which one they were using.

PS: I never realized that my iMac actually had such a card reader slot for ages after I got it. Never really needed it or examined the side of the iMac!!! :eek: :Oops:

- Patrick
======

OP
D
Reaction score
I was using an external multi-card/multi-USB port reader by IO-Gear. Just found it odd that suddenly (months later..since I tried the little ext reader) stopped seeing the ext reader. Do I need to buy another ext CF card reader? Or will the same thing happen because I have El Capitan OS on my 2011 27" iMac/MBP? Be sort of a waste of $ buying another ext USB 2.0 supported card reader only to find it's El Capitan who has stopped supporting USB 2.0. :)

The slot on my iMac doesn't accept CF cards...CF cards are too thick. Might need some kind of adapter to slip the CF card into. :) Not sure what kind yet.

pm-r..it's definitely a USB 2.0 bus...forgot how to check when I originally posted. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I don't use such CF cards, but Apple says this:
"Which SD card formats work in the SD card slot?

Cards that conform to the SD 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x standards should work. The SD card slot can use cards that are Standard SD (Secure Digital) 4 MB to 2 GB, SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) 4 GB to 32 GB, and SDXC (Secure Digital Extended Capacity) 4G B to 2 TB. MMC can also be used in this slot. MiniSD, MicroSD, and higher density formats like MiniSDHC and MicroSDHC can also work with the use of "passive" adapters that conform to the width and thickness specifications listed above.
"
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204384

And https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash says this:
"CF cards can be used directly in a PC Card slot with a plug adapter, used as an ATA (IDE) or PCMCIA storage device with a passive adapter or with a reader, or attached to other types of ports such as USB or FireWire. "

So it seems like an adapter should work.

As for the external, I would think it should work but then again, El Cap'n can be a PITA and just doesn't seem to work properly for many. Myself included.

Does the IO-Gear need any drivers installed?? I wouldn't have thought so but who does?? Maybe check their support/software site.

- Patrick
======

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I suspect it's the OS which is the root of the issue. I had the same problem with my (non Apple) Lightning card reader and my iPad when iOS 9 came out last year. It worked fine before the upgrade but was useless afterwards. Instead of trying other card readers, including the Apple at £26, I bought a wifi card (Toshiba FlashAir 16gb for £16) for my camera instead. I use SD cards but wifi CD cards are available too. I generally only use the wifi aspect for back-up to my iPad when away from home because my MBP has an SD card slot.

Slotting in a card is easier but can you not connect your camera by cable directly to your machines?

OP
D
Reaction score
I suspect it's the OS which is the root of the issue. I had the same problem with my (non Apple) Lightning card reader and my iPad when iOS 9 came out last year. It worked fine before the upgrade but was useless afterwards. Instead of trying other card readers, including the Apple at £26, I bought a wifi card (Toshiba FlashAir 16gb for £16) for my camera instead. I use SD cards but wifi CD cards are available too. I generally only use the wifi aspect for back-up to my iPad when away from home because my MBP has an SD card slot.

Slotting in a card is easier but can you not connect your camera by cable directly to your machines?

I totally forgot about the camera to iMac via cable idea. :) BUT, again, my 2011 27" iMac isn't seeing my DSLR :p I even tried different USB ports.

I have a sneaking suspicion it is El Capitan.

WiFi Reader? Might need to go that route. Some how I didn't think they were available. :) Both of my Apple computers won't see any USB connected (I suspect 2.0) device. Not even "DSLR to iMac or MBP via mini-USB to USB". Hate finding my gear is starting to show signs of age. :p Was so expensive at the time of purchase for both. :p They still work...just having a problems getting photography taken from my DSLR to my Apple computers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was using an external multi-card/multi-USB port reader by IO-Gear. Just found it odd that suddenly (months later..since I tried the little ext reader) stopped seeing the ext reader.

What is the model of your IO-Gear card reader??

Have you checked their support site?

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspect it's the OS which is the root of the issue.

That sure seems to be a common root problem lately!!! Where have all the good programers gone…??? And I'm sure you know the tune to such words. ;)

However, you make some good alternative suggestions, and I don't know how they manage to fit the wifi stuff needed into those cards. That's getting pretty small!!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BUT, again, my 2011 27" iMac isn't seeing my DSLR…

Did you try using the Image Capture.app and the camera turned On and connected via cable??

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I totally forgot about the camera to iMac via cable idea. :) BUT, again, my 2011 27" iMac isn't seeing my DSLR :p I even tried different USB ports.

I have a sneaking suspicion it is El Capitan.

WiFi Reader? Might need to go that route. Some how I didn't think they were available. :) Both of my Apple computers won't see any USB connected (I suspect 2.0) device. Not even "DSLR to iMac or MBP via mini-USB to USB". Hate finding my gear is starting to show signs of age. :p Was so expensive at the time of purchase for both. :p They still work...just having a problems getting photography taken from my DSLR to my Apple computers.

It's a wifi card I have but you're right, CF cards aren't available with wifi. But I see that you can get a wifi adapter which will accept CF cards and transmit the data wirelessly to a computer. Check these out:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00X5JONZG/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VC1VSAM/

A roundabout way of enabling wifi would be to switch to a wifi SD card, slot that into a CF adapter and use that in your camera. http://www.handtec.co.uk/eye-fi-com...IcrP3JyvmcB1ZX60gakeMLXUduKl46FkRYhoCiXHw_wcB

Some camera manufacturers also do plug-in devices for their cameras to add wifi capabilities. http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-t...rorless-interchangeable-lens-camera/#comments

OP
D
Reaction score

Did you try using the Image Capture.app and the camera turned On and connected via cable??

- Patrick
======

Nope. Just tried using iPhoto and Finder. Both couldn't see my DSLR or external CF card readers via USB 2.0. :p

IC app? Would that work under El Capitan OS X?

I mean I could just go out and buy a point/shoot Nikon A900 camera for $500 that has WiFi, shoots 4k video (which I guess would be downsized to my 1080p 2011 27" iMac screen...since it's not a 4k monitor). But I should be able to shoot with my old Nikon D300 DSLR (CF card) and still be able to transfer photos to my 2011 iMac/MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IC app? Would that work under El Capitan OS X?

It should. But then again I don't know if any drivers etc. are needed. i.e.: check the IO-Gear support site for your IO-Gear model, whatever it is… as I've already mentioned and asked…

- Patrick
======

OP
D
Reaction score
It's a wifi card I have but you're right, CF cards aren't available with wifi. But I see that you can get a wifi adapter which will accept CF cards and transmit the data wirelessly to a computer. Check these out:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00X5JONZG/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VC1VSAM/

A roundabout way of enabling wifi would be to switch to a wifi SD card, slot that into a CF adapter and use that in your camera. http://www.handtec.co.uk/eye-fi-com...IcrP3JyvmcB1ZX60gakeMLXUduKl46FkRYhoCiXHw_wcB

Some camera manufacturers also do plug-in devices for their cameras to add wifi capabilities. http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-t...rorless-interchangeable-lens-camera/#comments

The 3 3rd-party devices should work but they cost about $300 US/CDN+ :)

The Nikon WiFi adapter I don't think supports MAC computers but does support iPads and iPhone. :)

The CF card reader wireless transfer box...no Mac computer support. :)

My Samsung S4 smartphone has no problems sending photos to my iMac :) Just a shame I can't send my photos from my Nikon D300 DSLR to my iMac & MBP...for now..

IO-GEar support...will look into that though I doubt they have an app for or El Capitan driver support..

hate when tech gets old and OS X starts to stop supporting "USB 2.0"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Samsung S4 smartphone has no problems sending photos to my iMac Just a shame I can't send my photos from my Nikon D300 DSLR to my iMac & MBP...for now..

Roundabout way No 2! - could you use a CF reader for your phone, transfer your photos to it, then send to Macs?

OP
D
Reaction score

It should. But then again I don't know if any drivers etc. are needed. i.e.: check the IO-Gear support site for your IO-Gear model, whatever it is… as I've already mentioned and asked…

- Patrick
======

Just chatted with Apple Tech support. Told me to disconnect all 3rd party devices leaving only my keyboard connected. SUCCESS!! :) My iMac saw my DSLR. I was able to transfer all photos to my iMac. That's all it took. Odd that the tech support person couldn't tell me why he or she suggested this. I would have liked to have known the reasoning.

Funny thing though. On my MBP I have no third-party devices connected. Only an Apple power/recharging cube...which might be from a 3rd-party manufacturer? Hmmm..

At least it works on my iMac which is actually a 2010 27" model...not 2011.

So, if any one else is having this problem.. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back. Now you can continue to use your Nikon. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
I thought others running into the exact same prob might benefit. Simple solution. Be a shame to have a good DSLR and not be able to transfer the photos to my iMac. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.