Can't drag itunes playlist to usb

Reaction score
I can't drag my playlists from itunes to USB. I tried exporting but it comes up as a text file instead of mp3 and no music listed. I'm using El Capiton and never had a problem before I upgraded. Any help on this

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The reason you got a text file rather than mp3 files is that an iTunes playlist is essentially a series of pointers to the music files not the files themselves. you need to find the files themselves and copy them that way. If you right-click one of the items in the playlist and choose "Reveal in Finder" it will show you the file to copy.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It will also put you in the folder where the rest of your music lives as well but a word of warning don't play around with this folder too much it is better, like with Time Machine to use the Application interface where possible or a 3rd party application to export the music you want to a USB thumb drive for say use in a car. I do this a bit and I use Media Human Audio Converter. It is free and very simple to use, literally after setting up your preferences e.g. destination (USB Stick) you just drag from the iTunes playlist or track to the MHAC window and it copies, formats and copies it to your other device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
El Capitan and the latest iTunes
Not knowing any better, I just click on a playlist (or make a new one) then click on one song in the playlist in the bigger window on the right, then command-A to select all the songs in that window, then drag or command-c and command-V them. It copies the actual mp3 or whatever files to my stick or any other folder.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Diane, you are 100% correct. I did not know that was possible but I did know the same process worked for Photos so it's no huge surprise given the similarities between functions on native apps. You learn something every day. Reputation points to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
Are you kidding? Works in Photos too! Fantastic. I'm always fighting with Photos to get my iPhone pics out of Photos into Bridge/Photoshop. Off to try it out. Yes, we learn something new.

That's why I read this board - except, of course, when I need help I also come here.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, I guess that's information sharing at it's best.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't think many people still used their services.
Just out of curiosity what leads you to think that not many people use their "services".

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what leads you to think that not many people use their "services".

With the rise of youtube and services like Pandora. Music is more available then ever for free without the hassle of downloading it. I didn't mean to offend anyone especially if they use itunes. I guess I haven't really heard anyone talk about it for a long time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the rise of youtube and services like Pandora. Music is more available then ever for free without the hassle of downloading it. I didn't mean to offend anyone especially if they use itunes. I guess I haven't really heard anyone talk about it for a long time.
I wasn't offended by that statement simply curious about what lead to that statement. I've got my own list of reasons iTunes needs a rewrite but even I don't think iTunes is dead.

BTW I think the Huffington Post article took a wrong turn somewhere. IIRC Apple had internet radio stations, an early form of streaming music IMHO, in iTunes quite some time ago. Apple's introduction of a streaming music service doesn't necessarily mean they're ready to dump iTunes. One year after the introduction of their streaming music service iTunes is still the front end for your music, the front end for the IOS App Store and Music Store, as well as the front end for syncing IOS devices.

Reaction score
I wasn't offended by that statement simply curious about what lead to that statement. I've got my own list of reasons iTunes needs a rewrite but even I don't think iTunes is dead.

BTW I think the Huffington Post article took a wrong turn somewhere. IIRC Apple had internet radio stations, an early form of streaming music IMHO, in iTunes quite some time ago. Apple's introduction of a streaming music service doesn't necessarily mean they're ready to dump iTunes. One year after the introduction of their streaming music service iTunes is still the front end for your music, the front end for the IOS App Store and Music Store, as well as the front end for syncing IOS devices.

Your right. The Huffington Post article was a little to strong. Apple is a big company and I am sure they will eventually come up with something brilliant with iTunes. I have always liked Apple products alot.

Reaction score
Agree with you guys. It was a wrong article. The gigant companies like Apple always were looking for the right solutions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.