Can El Capitan (10.11.2) run iPhotos? Can I update old iPhoto?

Reaction score
Just upgrade to 10.11 and lost iPhoto. Photos is not so dynamic. OR is it? When I try to create a slide show, I am asked which photos to include...I do, but I don't have an option to set that background...and the photos seem really blurry/pixelated...thoughts?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It is a bit annoying, originally if one upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite iPhoto was retained and the Library updated so it was available in iPhoto and Photos but with Yosemite now unavailable an upgrade from Mavericks to El Capitan leaves you without iPhoto.
I suppose it's a good argument for not waiting to upgrade too long and to pass through each new OS as you go even if only for a short time in order to retain your options in Purchases.
I am running El Capitan and still have a functioning version of iPhoto although I wouldn't bet on that after Sierra.
I hope everybody is making a bootable copy of OS 10.11.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
If you remove iPhoto from your Applications folder, you should be able to download the updated version in the Mac App Store from your Purchased tab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Updating to El Capitan does not removed iPhoto - it's still there in the Applications folder and runs quite happily.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
iPhoto will run under El Capitan but you must have the latest version of iPhoto before doing the El Capitan update. See this thread

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Updating to El Capitan does not removed iPhoto - it's still there in the Applications folder and runs quite happily.

Unless you do a Clean Install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
I hope everybody is making a bootable copy of OS 10.11.5

Wasn't there a "sticky" on how to make a bootable copy of an OS?

Question: It seems back a few years on the install disks you had to be able to startup/boot the computer using an OS on the DVD (install disk) & then reinstall the OS off that. I miss install disks! I'd pay extra for them. Worse comes to worst, I could reinstall the original OS, & then go through the upgrades!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Wasn't there a "sticky" on how to make a bootable copy of an OS?

Question: It seems back a few years on the install disks you had to be able to startup/boot the computer using an OS on the DVD (install disk) & then reinstall the OS off that. I miss install disks! I'd pay extra for them. Worse comes to worst, I could reinstall the original OS, & then go through the upgrades!

You can make your own USB installer. See this Apple article. And yes, Rod Sprague started a thread a couple of days ago for that.

Reaction score
IPhoto doesn't run on my computer, a MacBook Pro, and I can't update it from the App store. Image Capture doesn't work either. I'm stuck!

P

Paramag

I am about to install El Capitan to replace Mavericks and have an old version of iPhoto installed. If I install over Mavericks, presumably the old iPhoto will not be accepted. If I do a clean install, which is what I plan, I assume that I just forget about iPhoto and accept Photos as part of the new OS, then remake all my albums from scratch. Correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your iPhoto Library can be imported into Photos. You may not need to remake everything.

Reaction score
I tried that, but I couldn't edit the photos due to my having trouble getting Image Capture to work (MacBook Pro). I discovered this site called Fotor Photo Editor (http://www.fotor.com), downloaded it, which is similar to Image Capture, and I'm back in business. It's free, too! With the old Image Capture, I had trouble getting it to recognize the scanner, an Epson V30. I'm good to go now with the Fotor Photo Editor. Hope this helps you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.