• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Imovie Catastrophe: Red Clips

Reaction score
Hey Everybody. Picture this. I'm about an hour and a half into a stellar new video project when the cruel grip of satan himself rises from his abyss and destroys all of my work in one fell swoop.
My clips magically turned from green to red and left black screens in place of their old videos. The audio remained but the levels had been changed drastically.
Please tell me of a magical way to recover my work.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Hi jet2junior. Which version of iMovie are you using?

turned from green to red
Not familiar with clips being red or green. Can you explain a bit more?

OP
J
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 1.55.28 PM.png

As you can see some of the clips changed to a reddish hue. The main problem is that all of the video disappeared.
Any clip with a black screen just magically lost all media content, and the audio levels changed from 100% to 400% all on there own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
What version of iMovie are you using and what version of OS X? Did they ever work correctly or did this occur from the beginning? Are all the clips the same format - ie: mpg or mp4 etc.

It almost sounds like drive corruption but at this point I am speculating.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Looks like iMovie 10. Not a problem that I've come across, and nothing comes up on google.

Are the affected clips ok in the Event that you got them from? Have you tried deleting them from the Timeline and re-inserting?

OP
J
Reaction score
I have realized the error. Thank you everybody for your assistance. It looks like I had only dragged the videos onto imovie and not imported them separately. Because of this there was no event as MightyGem mentioned. I don't know why it took so long for the video to disappear but after I imported everything, the images returned. Thanks everyone for your support in this troubling time. I'll send some links to the finished product around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Glad you figured it out. Your pain may help someone else. I did not know iMovie did not support drag-n-drop. I work in Premiere Pro and it does support it so I would have never occurred to me. But I understand how you felt - so glad you solved it. ;)

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Phew! I bet you were relieved. Simple oversight too. Maybe you should take a leaf out of Lisa's book and swap to Premiere Pro, I never have liked iMovie much but ver. 10.1.3 seems an improvement on previous versions, still I'm surprised it doesn't support drag an drop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
still I'm surprised it doesn't support drag an drop.
iMovie 10 does support drag and drop. You can drag and drop into an existing Event in the iMovie Library. :D
This topic prompted me to try it, so only found out today. :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
iMovie 10 does support drag and drop. You can drag and drop into an existing Event in the iMovie Library. :D
… … …
This topic prompted me to try it, so only found out today. :Cool:

Thanks for checking and confirming but I thought just about all Apple stuff supported Drag & Drop, at least for the the last few years if not longer, and if one can believe what they say… ;)

OS X Yosemite: Drag and drop items

You can drag and drop to do just about anything on your Mac:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18767?locale=en_US

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.