Virus on iMac from free download at icon factory?

C

cmf124

I was playing around on my iMac and decided to make my side of the system look pretty. Without thinking I downloaded the Valentine icons from the Iconfactory website (silly but I'm blaming it on lack of sleep with a newborn). It showed four icons on the website but after download there were many more and one listed as KENAL PANIC and another one that was not in english. I am now concerned that the download was malicious and wondered what I need to do to try and prevent or correct any issues. I have just deleted the download and updated OS to version 12.4. Is there anything else I can do or just wait and see :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Malwarebytes - will rid you of any adware
Onyx - will keep "germs" at bay

OP
C

cmf124

Great, I can do a search for it or is there a reputable site you recommend I use?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Great, I can do a search for it or is there a reputable site you recommend I use?

The developers website for both.

- Nick

OP
C

cmf124

Thanks toMACsh and Nick. I downloaded Malwarebytes and nothing was found so I can relax a little now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There are no Mac OS X viruses and by 12.3 I take it you mean OS X.11.4? If so update to OS X.11.5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.