• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Tapping into a Skyped class.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
60 years of programming, but I'm new to Skype, and trying to get a simple how-to from all the Google entries is enough to drive a guy batty.

Our situation is this: My grandson would like to sit in on a May 12th class that will be viewing a projected Skyped lecture. Unfortunately, that night he'll be tied up in a dress rehearsal for The Little Mermaid this weekend. I would like to tune into that lecture and capture it for his later viewing. No trouble with capturing it -- it's tuning in via Skype that should be easy. Can anybody tell me how easy it is?

Is it possible that it could be a simple matter of contacting the lecturer and asking him to include my Skype ID in his list of people who would receive his transmission, or something like that?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
60 years of programming, but I'm new to Skype, and trying to get a simple how-to from all the Google entries is enough to drive a guy batty.

Our situation is this: My grandson would like to sit in on a May 12th class that will be viewing a projected Skyped lecture. Unfortunately, that night he'll be tied up in a dress rehearsal for The Little Mermaid this weekend. I would like to tune into that lecture and capture it for his later viewing. No trouble with capturing it -- it's tuning in via Skype that should be easy. Can anybody tell me how easy it is?

Is it possible that it could be a simple matter of contacting the lecturer and asking him to include my Skype ID in his list of people who would receive his transmission, or something like that?

I would encourage your grandson to reach out, state that he can't make the call, ask if it's being recorded for later viewing, and then ask if he could invite someone to attend on his behalf and be sure to disclose that it would be recorded on his behalf. Presuming that this is a Skype Group Call, the maximum number of participants is 25, so there might not be room anyhow.

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
Thanks for what would ordinarily be good advice for this situation. As it happens, we did follow up on my "Is it possible ..." hunch and contacted the lecturer and gave him my Skype Id. He said that's all he needed and that he would add it to his Skype. It sounds as though I may have an easy way after all. We'll know on Thursday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Thanks for what would ordinarily be good advice for this situation. As it happens, we did follow up on my "Is it possible ..." hunch and contacted the lecturer and gave him my Skype Id. He said that's all he needed and that he would add it to his Skype. It sounds as though I may have an easy way after all. We'll know on Thursday.

If I knew more about the situation, type of class/lecture, the relationship your grandson has with the person leading the call, etc. I may very well have simply said your hunch would be appropriate to follow. I took the most general tact when I replied, assuming nothing.

Hopefully, it works out the way you need it to and he doesn't miss the material. And thanks for following up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.