Saving images to Photos

Reaction score
Hello - my first post to this forum.

I have a 12month old iMac and run Yosemite. Until recently I could right click on image attachment to emails, and get an option to Save to Photos. This has disappeared. Neither can I save the image to the desktop and click and drag to Photos. Any advice - in simple speak - greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
What email are you using and are you using a web based service or Mail app? I know my wife has this problem occasionally on her web based AOL mail both with photos and attached documents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I have a 12month old iMac and run Yosemite. Until recently I could right click on image attachment to emails, and get an option to Save to Photos. This has disappeared. Neither can I save the image to the desktop and click and drag to Photos. Any advice - in simple speak - greatly appreciated.

What you describe works in El Capitan so maybe time to update to the latest OS.

OP
A
Reaction score
Many thanks for these replies. I use BTinternet for mail via Apple's Mail. I had been trying to delay upgrading to El Capitan but maybe I will have to.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@auntpolly,

My email and ISP, like you, is BT.

When I upgraded to El Capitan, BT were very pushy about my changing my btinternet.com account from POP3 to IMAP. They claimed it worked better with El Capitan - which is nonsense - they just prefer that their customers change to IMAP.

I mention this so that you are prepared. If you are already on IMAP, no worries. If you are on POP3, you can choose to stay or go IMAP — don't let them bully you.

(purely out of interest, I chose to change to IMAP which created an unusual situation: my older iMac (Mavericks) and all my iOS devices are on POP3, whilst my new iMac with El Capitan is IMAP. Same email address. It works fine!)

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for this advice re El Capitan/BT.

I have since found a work-around way of saving my images to Photos. In case anyone else has the same problem, I save them to my Download file, view it in list form, select images and then I can click and drag to Photos.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@auntpolly What you are describing shouldn't require updating/upgrading to El Capitan. If it was working in Yosemite before it should work now unless some setting has changed in the software. Not sure what is going on at the moment though. If I have any brilliant ideas I'll post back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.