Transferring photo album from iMac to iPad?

Reaction score
I always transfer photos from my camera to my iMac, so I can edit them and put them in an album. No problems with that. Next I want to transfer the album from my iMac to my iPad, and here I always have an almighty struggle. I only do it two or three times a year, not frequently enough to be familiar with the process, so I long ago wrote down the steps to follow. These have kind of worked in the past, although never very smoothly and only after lots of trial and error:

Open iPhoto – create new Album - click file (top left bar) – import photos to Library in Event file – copy and paste into new album (name).
Link with cable to iPad – open iTunes on iMac – view sidebar – click iPad – click photos – tick all Albums wanted on iPad (existing ones wiped out) – apply - sync.

The problem now is that when I open iTunes I can no longer see any way to open a sidebar or go any further - the "front page" of iTunes seems to have changed.

Can someone please help me? If I had any hair left I would have torn it out in frustration by now!

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help.

I don't like the idea of automatically synching files, as I only want to move one photo folder across every now and then.

I did have another thought prompted by the suggestions for external systems, that is to use Dropbox, which I having been using to store files I'm working on. So I uploaded the photo folder to it and sure enough (after a very long time - it's a big folder) the folder appeared in the Dropbox folder on my iPad. Now I have to work out how to get the photos from Dropbox into the iPad's library - something else which isn't at all obvious!

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Click and drag? Import from Photos?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.