Photoshop Elements

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Air 2 64GB, 8GB iPod, 2GB iPod
I used a pc version of this a few years back, I think it was version 6. I don't see much talk around here about using it. I'm just a hobby photographer and I thought it wasn't bad compared to what CS cost, and I know it does a lot more but for a hobby guy it does a lot IMO.

Is elements a thing of the past or are most of you folks doing more professional work? When I get a mac :Blushing: I was thinking of getting a version for the mac.

Just curious, what do most of you hobby photographer's use?

Kenny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
iPhoto for very simple edits else Photoshop Elements 11. You can often find the previous or previous but one version of Elements on Amazon or eBay which make them great bargains.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I'm using three year old PSE 11 for anything which Photos won't do. The latest version is 14 but 13 is still available, selling on Amazon UK for £53. For iOS there's also the amazing, free, Photoshop Fix. I started using it with iOS8 and am now on 9; don't know if it's suitable for earlier versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
For myself, I use Preview for my basic photo editing needs - much more to the 'free' app than meets the eye - in fact, just left a post HERE (checkout #6) to see if you would need more? If Preview does not fulfill my needs, then I have Pixelmator which is like a Photoshop equivalent. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
For myself, I use Preview for my basic photo editing needs - much more to the 'free' app than meets the eye - in fact, just left a post HERE (checkout #6) to see if you would need more? If Preview does not fulfill my needs, then I have Pixelmator which is like a Photoshop equivalent. Dave :)
Puzzled how you edit in Preview. My pix import to Photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Puzzled how you edit in Preview. My pix import to Photos.

Hello - well, if you right-click on an image and then select 'Get info', an option at the bottom of the dialog box allows a default to be selected (see attached screen capture - double blue arrow) - my *.jpg & *.png images are defaulted to open in Preview (I don't really use Photos, although I probably should explore the app since it is new) - if you want an image format (or others) to always open in a specific app (and a number of various apps can be chosen w/ the drop-down arrows to the right), then click 'Change All...' - in the future that image format, e.g. JPEG, will always open in Preview. Hope that is the question you are asking? Dave :)

P.S. and if not already done, then check the link given previously to my post #6 explaining some of the features of Preview - my needs are limited, so probably handles 90% of what I need to do w/ images.
Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 2.54.18 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Will have a look at Preview when I get MBP back. Option of text would be useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Will have a look at Preview when I get MBP back. Option of text would be useful.

No problem at all - I post a LOT of pics to the forums I frequent (about 3 only) and must say that for those purposes, Preview is nearly always successful. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
For me it's Adobe CC all the way. I do about 95% of my editing in Lightroom with some final touches if needed in Photoshop.

I started out with Elements but found the raw converter lacking compared to Lightroom.

I use Preview as well to perhaps crop a final image or to add a watermark if needed. It's much easier than Lightroom or Photoshop in this final respect.

OP
kennyleri
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Air 2 64GB, 8GB iPod, 2GB iPod
RadDaveThak's for the tips, I see what you mean about your prior post using preview. Look like a great program.

BadShoeHabbit Thanks for the suggestion also.

nickyr Thanks, I do shoot in raw mostly too and will take a look at Lightroom.

Thanks to all for their inputs and suggestions.

Kenny

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.