RAW Photos in Photo

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can view/edit RAW pictures in Photos? I have a 2015 MBP and all my photos are on a separate 2TB hard drive. I can view the RAW photos in the Canon Digital Photo Professional program but can't work out how to view them in Photos. My cameras are Canon EOS M and EOS 400D. I think the latest update of photos included RAW compatibility for both of these cameras. Many thanks in advance

C

chas_m

Just add them to the Photos Library (by drag and drop, as one method). Try it on a couple of them first.

When you edit, it will create a JPEG version (if there isn't one already) for you to edit on for speed, but the edits will be noted and applied to a copy of the RAW file (the original is never touched).

There's some GREAT extensions available for Photos from Affinity and Macphun and others that make editing in Photos a real joy.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for this. If I had realised it was that simple I wouldn't have had to bother anyone. Still fairly new to MAC after a lifetime on Windows but enjoying the experience. Affinity looks interesting but not sure I have the time to learn it at the moment. Many thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Air 2 64GB, 8GB iPod, 2GB iPod
Just add them to the Photos Library (by drag and drop, as one method). Try it on a couple of them first.

When you edit, it will create a JPEG version (if there isn't one already) for you to edit on for speed, but the edits will be noted and applied to a copy of the RAW file (the original is never touched).

There's some GREAT extensions available for Photos from Affinity and Macphun and others that make editing in Photos a real joy.

chas-m, I know this is a older post but I have a question too. I do shoot mostly raw & jpeg together. When obviously takes up more space on both the card and dd. With this versatility in the mac photos is it necessary to continue to shoot both together?

Kenny

C

chas_m

The program would end up creating a JPEG anyway, so it won't make a difference. The JPEG doesn't take up much room at all compared to the RAW file. If you're seeing duplicates when you bring those into Photos, you can turn off the JPEG creation at the camera, otherwise don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Air 2 64GB, 8GB iPod, 2GB iPod
Thanks chas_m goof to know.
Kenny

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.