• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

?: Peachpit Training Series

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 MacBook (m5), 2013 macbook pro retina 15", 2009 MBP non retina 13", 2014 21" iMac
Hello everyone,

I am attempting to learn as much as I can about the Mac Operating System and would eventually like to posses enough skills to become certified. I have a long way to go as I am maybe just a bit past the "novice" stage.

There are a lot of choices of videos, classes, books etc. to choose from and I was wondering how you folks felt about the Peachpit series. In particular, I'm interested in purchasing the "OS X Support Essentials 10.10" book, but I wanted to see how you felt about someone just above "noobie" status being able to absorb something like that?

I am more than willing to put in the time but wanted to know if a book like that would be so hard for me to understand that Id be better off looking somewhere else.

Also, if you could give me your opinions regarding any training material out there where a relatively new to Mac person could find very helpful I would really appreciate it.

Thanks very much,

best to you always,

rick

C

chas_m

It's a low risk investment, and the folks at PeachPit are great. You can dive right into the support essentials if you want to. Might be easier to get a book like OS X 10.10: The Missing Manual (or the 10.11 one when it comes out) so that you feel much more confident as a user and understand how the core software works, but some people like to be "tossed in the deep end" as a way of motivating themselves to get into it. Worse case, you'll be out the cost of a book. :)

OP
greyhound rick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 MacBook (m5), 2013 macbook pro retina 15", 2009 MBP non retina 13", 2014 21" iMac
It's a low risk investment, and the folks at PeachPit are great. You can dive right into the support essentials if you want to. Might be easier to get a book like OS X 10.10: The Missing Manual (or the 10.11 one when it comes out) so that you feel much more confident as a user and understand how the core software works, but some people like to be "tossed in the deep end" as a way of motivating themselves to get into it. Worse case, you'll be out the cost of a book. :)

Thank you Chas. Always great to read your input! Will give PeachPit a try! Best to you, Rick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.