best program for making websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
Ive used iweb and rapidweaver and dreamweaver. is their something better I should try? free or low cost would be nice. thanks. :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Those are some of the best WYSIWYG website creators out there. What else are you looking for? You can always try hand coding the website if its the control you want..

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hand coding probably wont happen. I know a little code, enough to be dangerous but that is about it. I have iweb 2.0.4 and rapid weaver 4.x.... dreamweaver CS3.... so their older versions... perhaps I could try rapidweaver again if I could find some new templates.... all my templates are old and outdated looking, sort of cheap looking to be honest.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm a little confused as DW is used to write code by hand (unless an older version wasn't designed like this). None the less, what kind of website are you looking to make? It's very possible that the answer is might be something very simple if you have a specific need.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would use dreamweaver for simple edits that iweb would not let me do and/or I did not know how to do in iweb or rapidweaver. been using wordpress for the church website. was thinking of leaving wordpress and doing something else....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 6s iOS 15.1, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
hand coding probably wont happen. I know a little code, enough to be dangerous but that is about it. I have iweb 2.0.4 and rapid weaver 4.x.... dreamweaver CS3.... so their older versions... perhaps I could try rapidweaver again if I could find some new templates.... all my templates are old and outdated looking, sort of cheap looking to be honest.
. Not sure the above objectives go well along together. Two possibilities as I see it:

(1) If you do not trust your understanding of html and CSS code, which is quite legitimate these days. It seems to me you will want to rely on one (and only one) able and up to date robot to create and maintain the html and CSS code for you. I am not sure this is available for free or cheap. You may need to pay the price.

(2) If, on the other hand, you can overcome your mistrust in your coding abilities, then you may avoid to pay for the high robot cost (as I lo) and multiply the use of free tools as your iweb, rapid weaver, old dreamweaver, as you do, or SeaMonkey, as I do. But then, you need to trust yourself (in understanding html and css code) and the assistance of a good text editor (like BBEdit) to verify, tidy-up and rewrap said coding prior to uploading to your website.

There may be other alternatives. This is the best I can suggest to help clarify and better align your goals. HTH.

Reaction score
I have had real experience with dreamweaver. It's really helpful though. You can try with this one.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My wife is very happy with WordPress, you could have a look at that as an alternative.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Honestly, I know you mentioned leaving Wordpress but that really does sound like the best option here. I'd say that this will offer you the best option for an easy to maintain site that's really well supported.

Reaction score
With so many CMS available at the moment, there are lots of people who are not making their websites using Photoshop and dreamweaver like designers were doing few years back and I am also one of them. I would prefer to make a website using wordpress or magento and save my time and money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I'm using Sketch for design (much better than Photoshop as it's made for the web) and Espresso for coding along with CodeKit for SASS and JS combination and compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.