audio cassette to mp3

Reaction score
My mom passed Oct 2013 and I have some cassettes of her speaking and teaching from the 1970s. They sound good on cassette, would like to convert them to our relateively new iMac, however, I don't see an audio input on the back. Is there a way to do the conversion using the iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina 5K, 27" ; 3.5GHz i5; late 2014, iPhone 6+, iPad2, iPod60
I have been digitizing 45's but with a USB connector.

If you would use a USB/audio conversion cable this should work. There are probably more on the market but you could try Googling for the same and looking at your options. There are such animals on the market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would also recommend, if you should not already have it, AUDIO HIJACK PRO. It along with the FISSION editor enables you to basically record and edit anything you can hear on your MAC

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
They sound good on cassette, would like to convert them to our relateively new iMac, however, I don't see an audio input on the back. Is there a way to do the conversion using the iMac?

You didn't say which model iMac you have. But generally speaking…the audio in jack is the microphone jack.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a "new" iMac and I do not see a microphone jack. Probably not there because of it being built in? Or I just do not know where to look.

I do have a microphone jack on my Bose speaker control but while that played to the speakers I am not sure it was shaking hands with the computer.

Found adaptors at "ZZounds".

Audio-Technica ATR2USB 3.5mm to USB Audio Adapter, New

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Just another suggestion that came to mind w/ what is on your iMac or can be downloaded for free - of course, since the audio is simply voice, then the quality of the recording is not as important as say getting music from vinyl or cassettes.

Your computer has a microphone which can record sound (check in System Preferences -> Dictation & Speech) - open QuickTime Player (see first screen capture below) and select 'New Audio Recording' (red arrow) which will open the small player box that I moved to the bottom right near the dock.

Now start QuickTime and then the cassette recording - adjust volume and record what is needed; when done the recording can be saved as a *.m4a file, which might be fine (second screen capture); but, if you want to convert to MP3, then download the free audio/video converter called Adapter - see last screen capture - conversion to MP3 can be quickly and simply done. Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 12.07.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 12.08.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 12.10.17 PM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As Nick said we can give better advice once we know what version of OS X you're using. In the meantime something like this should work, There are several types of the devices in different price ranges. Some apparently work better than others.

Here's a review of several devices that may help. Some that do not list Mac support might work if they don't need drivers. The software on the CD would be unnecessary if the Mac recognized the device.

The last time I did this I used the Griffin iMic and an appropriate cable to connect to the cassette deck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think a few posters here are forgetting the audio from the cassette player is analog and needs to be converted to digital as well as being amplified.

The suggested Griffin iMic works well if they're still available and does it all. But it may be cheaper to just have a local audio place do the conversion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think a few posters here are forgetting the audio from the cassette player is analog and needs to be converted to digital as well as being amplified........

Now Guys - my suggestion requires no new hardware nor considerations of analog to digital conversion (done automatically during the recording), and costs nothing. I gave it a try on my MBPro this morning when I posted and recorded my voice, then converted to MP3, as explained. Sounded fine if used for cassette voice quality, plus comments and/or some nice background music could be added by those making the recording - worth a try for the OP. Dave :)

Reaction score
i can help with this way quicker and cheaper and better quality.

Ok you need these items.

1. Garageband any version.

2. A headphone to headphone cable.

3. A USB sound card a lot of these even cheaper ones for mac compatibility can be found at amazon here is the link to one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OJ5AV8I/?tag=macforums0e4-20

it's only 8.99

Now all you do is connect the headphone to headphone cable to the mic input on the usb sound card plug the other end into your tape deck and then connect the usb sound card to your macintosh.

How you set up the software.

Now you have the macintosh on and everything set up go into your apple menu.

Select system prefs

select sound

choose the usb sound card from the input selection not the output.

once done close the sound and system pref.

Now startup garageband start a new project select garageband at the top of the screen and select preferences and tell it the device of which you are recording from which would be the usb sound card.

Hit play on the tape deck and hit record in garageband.

And your finished.

once recorded into garageband you can apply filters and even dolby digital tracks to it and it will sound like she is there in the room with you.

I use to do this a lot with my 8-track collections it's pretty bad #@! option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) OS Yosemite

Hello - please read through the posts carefully - multiple options have been offered, most involving the purchase of additional hardware (and possibly software) - I proposed a simple solution costing you nothing that would be appropriate for an audio cassette voice recording - give it a try and if not happy then go to the other suggestions. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have the iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) OS Yosemite

Great, and just in case you weren't sure where the microphone is located, it's at the top as shown here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204392

But I didn't know this:
"The dual microphones operate independently from all other audio input ports and are always available. …"
Plus some other input options…

So just play back those cassette audio tapes next to the mic and record away. ;)

OP
W
Reaction score
I have a "new" iMac and I do not see a microphone jack. Probably not there because of it being built in? Or I just do not know where to look.

I do have a microphone jack on my Bose speaker control but while that played to the speakers I am not sure it was shaking hands with the computer.

Found adaptors at "ZZounds".

Audio-Technica ATR2USB 3.5mm to USB Audio Adapter, New
Checking this option, I see how I plug into iMac with USB. How do I plug my cassette deck into this adaptor?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Assuming that your cassette deck has the RCA type connectors typical of most cassette decks you need a cable like this . You can find them in lots of places including many big box retailers and electronics shops.

Make sure it is a stereo connector. It will say so on the package or the single small end will have a double black band on the connector. May not be important if these recordings are in stereo since they were likely mono but the cable can be used for other things where stereo is important.

Once you have this connect it to the tape/audio output area of the cassette deck and the other end plugs into the adapter on the mic input side.

OP
W
Reaction score
I have been up and running with cassette to iMac for a few weeks now. I even upgraded to stereo with a USB sound card. I use garage band for the software. The results have been sounding great, however, I need help, I'm trying to tackle a minor issue. Every few minutes, a random audible static sound that I hear during the process is also recorded onto the mp3 result. I've eliminated all electrical devices in the area that could be transmitting something picked up by something in the loop by turning things off and unplugging them but all to no avail. Could this be a result of needing to ground the USB sound card to the cassette deck? Could the new sound card itself be transmitting something? Thanks for any advice. Mark

OP
W
Reaction score
Cassette to mp3 help

I have been up and running with cassette to iMac for a few weeks now. I even upgraded to stereo with a behringer USB sound card. I use garage band for the software. The results have been sounding great, however, I need help, I'm trying to tackle a minor issue. Every few minutes, a random audible static sound that I hear during the process is also recorded onto the mp3 result. I've eliminated all electrical devices in the area that could be transmitting something picked up by something in the loop by turning things off and unplugging them but all to no avail. Could this be a result of needing to ground the USB sound card to the cassette deck? Could the new sound card itself be transmitting something? Thanks for any advice. Mark

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.