How do I copy songs to a thumb drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac mini with 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD and a 2018 Mac Book Air with 256GB SSD.
Title says it all. How do I put songs on a thumb drive to play in the car?

Computer is a Mac Mini running Mavericks. iTunes version 12.0.1.26, the latest version.

I can click on File, Burn to disk, but that doesn't seem to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Title says it all. How do I put songs on a thumb drive to play in the car?

Computer is a Mac Mini running Mavericks. iTunes version 12.0.1.26, the latest version.

Hi Fanner - let's start simple - does your car have a stereo system that will accept input from a USB drive, and if so, in what format, e.g. MP3 files?

I just bought a new Camry and can plug in my iPod w/ 100 hrs of MP3 music - shows up on the car's touch screen - do you have an MP3 player that might be more compatible w/ your car's audio?

Let me stop there to allow you to respond - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, I'm still living in the last century. My 98 Mustang has a built in cassette deck along with a CD player. I do have a USB double outlet that I put in place of the cigar lighter. No smokers in my family. :D

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac mini with 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD and a 2018 Mac Book Air with 256GB SSD.
Dave, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, my 2012 Honda CR-V has a USB that I can plug an iPod in to.
It would be nice though to copy some songs on a USB thumb drive and just carry that around with me without having to leave the iPod in the car. It seems like it would be so simple, but I can't figure it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, I'm still living in the last century. My 98 Mustang has a built in cassette deck along with a CD player. I do have a USB double outlet that I put in place of the cigar lighter. No smokers in my family. :D

Chscag - reminds me of my BIL who owns a bunch of old cars w/ cassette players - took out a younger girl on a date and she said 'so quaint' when he put on a cassette - LOL myself!

BOY, I lived w/ cassettes for years - had an expensive cassette recorder and used all of the various tapes - played them in my cars then & on our portable players - can't remember how many years that I was involved in this activity but was a while - memories - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, my 2012 Honda CR-V has a USB that I can plug an iPod in to.
It would be nice though to copy some songs on a USB thumb drive and just carry that around with me without having to leave the iPod in the car. It seems like it would be so simple, but I can't figure it out.

Hi again Fanner - now, I don't know the manual of your vehicle's audio system, but that would be my first suggestion to review - just not sure that a simple USB drive w/ a bunch of MP3 files will work?

BUT, my new car is our travel yacht now and I simply put my iPod in my pocket (will soon be replaced w/ an iPhone 6) and have it cabled to my car's USB audio port - quite simple - so, is there an issue for you to simply carry your iPod to your car for music? Dave :)

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really an issue Dave, just want to put some songs on a thumb drive LOL.
This cassette tape talk just sent me into the "computer room" where I have a Technics Cassette Deck Mdl RS-B78R hooked up to a vintage Marantz Model 2218 Stereo Receiver, the one with the fly wheel analog tuning with the pretty blue lights on the panel. It all works like new. Music has always been very important to me. I have a few cassette tapes locked in the safe deposit box lol. Thanks for the help and for the cassette tape memories.

Reaction score
I just drag songs straight out of iTunes onto the stick. I also can play MP3's on my stereo.
It can only play music loose though, not in subfolders.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just drag songs straight out of iTunes onto the stick. I also can play MP3's on my stereo.
It can only play music loose though, not in subfolders.

I will try that. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.