• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The power of Siri and a Toddler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I find it interesting that the child used Siri to dial 911, mainly because I tried to do it several months ago when we had an emergency here, and Siri apologized for not being able to do that. After 3 tries, I had to dial it manually. I was very very very mad about that!

You can try it with 611 and 411... Siri still can't do it. I'm pretty sure that entire story is BS, but I'm not going to re-try 911 to be sure.

EDIT: here's a story from 2012 confirming Siri doesn't dial 911.
Apple’s iPhone’s Siri Does Not Call 911 | WNEP.com

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I wondered about it too. Seems like you would have heard about more of these cases. I saw a video clip of the interview with mon on the Fox news site a few days ago. If it were obviously fake you would think one of the other news outlets would have called them on it by now. They're not exactly favore by most other media outlets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I wondered about it too. Seems like you would have heard about more of these cases. I saw a video clip of the interview with mon on the Fox news site a few days ago. If it were obviously fake you would think one of the other news outlets would have called them on it by now. They're not exactly favore by most other media outlets.

I did just read that you can create a contact to dial 911. Hmmm... let me try that with 611.

Nope... doesn't work. That article really needs to add some clarity as to how this was accomplished.

EDIT: I followed this back to the source article, and it says the girl activated Siri and said "Call Emergency" repeatedly until it went through.
http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3484579.shtml?cat=127

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've seen lots of posts saying it can't be done. I did see ones that says you have to tell it to Call Emergency Services.

I am wondering if some of the confusion has to do with when the various articles were written as Siri has evolved over time.

Edit: Even if it works there will probably be some areas where the 911 system can't pull up accurate enough location data to be helpful without you giving them more info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.