Need an online email system to access non-mobile-me email

Reaction score
Hello. I have a company for which I am considered a "contractor", and I receive emails from outside clients to the company-named email address. The mail server is horrible. No auto-reply, no out-of-office, not user-friendly, plus I travel a LOT. When I don't get to my emails right away, sometimes 1-2 days, clients start freaking out. (Understandably so.)

I am looking for a email manager that will take the work-sponsored email address, and allow me to reply back to clients using the email address, but will also be big enough to handle out of office and auto-reply. The company owner suggested I use Outlook, but the only way to get Outlook is to purchase the entire office system. A) I don't want it taking up the room on my computer and B) I'd just rather not corrupt my computer that way. I haven't had any microsoft products on my mac for a good 14 years I don't intend to start now.

Do you have any suggestions? I really only have a few needs:
!) It works on my Mac
2) It allows auto-replies
3) It has to be able to function using my existing email account.
4) It would be nice if I could also tie it into my iphone's existing Mail app, since I am out of the office and out of town so much, mobile access is a plus.

OR is there a way to make my Mac do this already and I'm just not aware of it?

Thanks so much,
Karen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.
Can you not add the account to your 'Mail, Contacts and Calendar' in System Preference

Screen Shot 0025-05-21 at 4.17.16.png

OP
G
Reaction score
Murasaki, I guess I didn't realize you COULD add an outside email address... I thought just the mobile me accounts could be added. Does the new address then become an option in the pull down address choices? (From address?)

And, does it then save all the outgoing mail and incoming mail on my mac, vs online?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.
I am not sure as I only have a Gmail Account and iCloud account. A long time ago on my 2006 MacBook I had a Yahoo account connected to the Apple Mail account, but I forget how it worked. You may have to play with it.

All I remember was you could add a outside account like Yahoo or Hotmail etc Sorry I can not be of more help, just getting back in to Apples after using Windows for 6 years and everything has changed, so learning again myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Murasaki, I guess I didn't realize you COULD add an outside email address... I thought just the mobile me accounts could be added. Does the new address then become an option in the pull down address choices? (From address?)

And, does it then save all the outgoing mail and incoming mail on my mac, vs online?

Yes, it becomes an option.. and the second answer is.. it depends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What ever goes out as in Sent Emails on your Phone come up as sent on your Mac, as long as iCloud is set up. With the iPhone though you will need to set it so it receives and keeps the maximum amount as you need. ATM i have it show 50 recent msg's, but can be set to 1000 msg's Maximum. So if you get more than 1000 emails a day you might have to look else where to some other App that supports iCloud.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.