• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Surface Pro

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Now that it's coming out and we know the tech specs and such on this device.

I'm curious as to what you guys think of it. I was seriously considering purchasing one but Microsoft seems to like shooting themselves in the foot every time.

I'm not quite sold on the current storage space on the Surface Pro. A third of the space is already take up by the OS. Not to mention all the other bloat ware that is probably on it.

I'm still waiting for a tablet Ultrabook from Apple (not named MBA). >_<" As much as I like my two iPads I need more power on the go.

Yes I do have a 13" MBP but I would like it in Tablet form.

I'm sure a few of you guys remember Axiotron and the Modbook which I also considered. Now they are gone and replaced by Modbook Pro. Which is essentially the same thing but they are using a MBP instead of a MB. The price tag on it is still quite high. That's really the only thing that is keeping me from seriously considering getting one.

Plus I'm sure if Apple were to do it. They would do it better. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was seriously considering purchasing one but Microsoft seems to like shooting themselves in the foot every time.

The price tag on it is still quite high. That's really the only thing that is keeping me from seriously considering getting one.

I thought you said that you had less money than Zimbabwe!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have not had a chance to play with the Surface Pro but would still rather have a MBA over the Surface.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I thought you said that you had less money than Zimbabwe!;)

- Nick

Well just planning ahead :D Like for next month. :Evil:

Have not had a chance to play with the Surface Pro but would still rather have a MBA over the Surface.

I'm not a fan of the MBA. >_<"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not quite sold on the current storage space on the Surface Pro. A third of the space is already take up by the OS. Not to mention all the other bloat ware that is probably on it.
More than that. The 128GB version has 83GB of usable space (65%) while the 64GB has, wait for it, only 23GB (36%). What a joke.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More than that. The 128GB version has 83GB of usable space (65%) while the 64GB has, wait for it, only 23GB (36%). What a joke.

Yep that's not cool at all. Then they say oh well you can put in a SD card and attach an external HDD.

Who wants to bring an external HDD and attach it to a tablet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yep that's not cool at all. Then they say oh well you can put in a SD card and attach an external HDD.

Who wants to bring an external HDD and attach it to a tablet?

And why do I have to spend more money to get the storage that I originally thought I was purchasing? Just advertise it as what the size that's truly available and price it accordingly. What a joke.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I'm still waiting for a tablet Ultrabook from Apple (not named MBA). >_<" As much as I like my two iPads I need more power on the go.

Isn't that an ipad with a bluetooth keyboard?

Saying that, What would be cool is an iOS tablet device that when docked to a keyboard case with an Intel chip could morph into a machine with the option of running in iOS or OS X mode

I'll patent that before I contact Tim Cook

Reaction score
I played around with the Surface tablet at the Microsoft store recently. I really love how they included a trackpad and keyboard to their 'smart cover' and still kept it relatively thin and light. The Surface tablet itself is quite heavy.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Want to know what I think of it? I think Microsoft is trying to test the famous Einstein quote about insanity: "...doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results".

Microsoft has tried to spur on the "Tablet PC" so many times now, it's starting to get silly. Many of you will say "oh, this time it's different - the OS is designed for touch". To that I say, "yup, it sure is... but what about the apps?". And that's where the problem comes in with the dichotomy between Windows RT and Windows 8.

People buying the Pro (as opposed to the cheaper Surface) will mostly do so to run normal, x86 apps. And when they find that they can't do so without a stylus or by trying to maneuver a pointer around the screen with their finger, this will become an exercise in frustration and will be relegated to the dustbin of technology, just like with every "Tablet PC" before it.

There is a reason why Apple was successful with the iPad, when all other tablet manufacturers have fallen flat. You need to design the machine from the ground up to do touch - and that includes the apps. If you try to shoehorn a "desktop" app into a different form factor, you're doomed to fail right from the start. It seems that Microsoft still doesn't get it. No one is buying the Pro to run Metro apps.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you try to shoehorn a "desktop" app into a different form factor, you're doomed to fail right from the start. It seems that Microsoft still doesn't get it.
I think they do get it but for them, "getting it" means reshaping a desktop OS to work on a touch platform which, in practice, doesn't "get it" at all. In other words, they seem to understand the problem but don't know how to devise a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

That's what I've got to say about this.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think they do get it but for them, "getting it" means reshaping a desktop OS to work on a touch platform which, in practice, doesn't "get it" at all. In other words, they seem to understand the problem but don't know how to devise a solution.

I wouldn't even give them that much credit.

Their Windows 8 strategy demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of both the mainstream PC market and the Tablet market. That is, a jack-of-all-trades is a master of none - and the "Surface Pro" (and countless 3rd party derivatives) are the ultimate expression of that deeply flawed concept. I could go on, but no one wants to read my WOT, I'm sure.

As I've been saying for many years, what Microsoft lacks is focus. Trying to be all things to all people, answering to every product segment in the technology market has never worked well for them. I am hopeful that the Windows 8 experiment is an "Aha!" moment for them... and that they go back and reassess what their customers want (much like they did when Vista fell flat and they quickly cooked up Windows 7).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think they do get it but for them, "getting it" means reshaping a desktop OS to work on a touch platform which, in practice, doesn't "get it" at all.

I think that the problem is...they think that they get it...or they tell themselves that they get it...but they really don't!;)

It's kind of like someone telling themselves..."I Can Fly"..."I Can Fly"..."I Can Fly"...1000 times. Unfortunately...saying it 1000 times doesn't make it true!;)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps I should rephrase what I said. I think MS gets that you need a mobile specific OS but fail to understand how to do it. Thus, they seem to understand the nuances of mobile usage but think that taking a desktop OS as the base is the right way to do it.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I played around with the Surface tablet at the Microsoft store recently. I really love how they included a trackpad and keyboard to their 'smart cover' and still kept it relatively thin and light. The Surface tablet itself is quite heavy.

To be fair it's not exactly a tablet. It's an Ultra Notebook in a tablet form factor. Hybrid of sorts.

Want to know what I think of it? I think Microsoft is trying to test the famous Einstein quote about insanity: "...doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results".

Microsoft has tried to spur on the "Tablet PC" so many times now, it's starting to get silly. Many of you will say "oh, this time it's different - the OS is designed for touch". To that I say, "yup, it sure is... but what about the apps?". And that's where the problem comes in with the dichotomy between Windows RT and Windows 8.

People buying the Pro (as opposed to the cheaper Surface) will mostly do so to run normal, x86 apps. And when they find that they can't do so without a stylus or by trying to maneuver a pointer around the screen with their finger, this will become an exercise in frustration and will be relegated to the dustbin of technology, just like with every "Tablet PC" before it.

There is a reason why Apple was successful with the iPad, when all other tablet manufacturers have fallen flat. You need to design the machine from the ground up to do touch - and that includes the apps. If you try to shoehorn a "desktop" app into a different form factor, you're doomed to fail right from the start. It seems that Microsoft still doesn't get it. No one is buying the Pro to run Metro apps.

You bring up some very valid points that I didn't even think about. The Windows RT and Windows 8 thing was confusing for a lot people.

I haven't tested the Surface Pro with Desktop Apps so I can't say for sure how good or bad the experience is. I'm actually planning on going to the Windows Store today to test it out. >_<"

I kind of want to do a video blog but I doubt they would let me do that in the store.

I wouldn't even give them that much credit.

Their Windows 8 strategy demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of both the mainstream PC market and the Tablet market. That is, a jack-of-all-trades is a master of none - and the "Surface Pro" (and countless 3rd party derivatives) are the ultimate expression of that deeply flawed concept. I could go on, but no one wants to read my WOT, I'm sure.

As I've been saying for many years, what Microsoft lacks is focus. Trying to be all things to all people, answering to every product segment in the technology market has never worked well for them. I am hopeful that the Windows 8 experiment is an "Aha!" moment for them... and that they go back and reassess what their customers want (much like they did when Vista fell flat and they quickly cooked up Windows 7).

Windows ME was probably worst than Vista and they didn't seem to move that fast to remedy anything. I think that's was about the time I gave up on Windows.

I'm still running Windows 7 on my Gaming Rig cause I'm not confident that my games will run that well on Windows 8. I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't tested the Surface Pro with Desktop Apps so I can't say for sure how good or bad the experience is.
I'm going to bet that it's terrible. Applications designed to work with a mouse rarely work well with the finger.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5 minutes of finger moving and I get this:
4C1CF4BD-03A7-44CB-A11F-9028A349F303-32055-000027327759F81C_zpsd63ad9ca.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Love that teeny little scroll bar along the right side of the PowerPoint dialog in the picture. So much for optimizing Office 2013 for touch.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Love that teeny little scroll bar along the right side of the PowerPoint dialog in the picture. So much for optimizing Office 2013 for touch.

Yeah after that happened I just kind of left it there. I was like "Your problem now." Sorry about the quality of the image guys. I had to try and sneak it with my phone. >_<"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.