Basic Mac Troubleshooting

M

Mat Sumpter

While Macs tend to be very reliable and require little maintenance things can sometimes go awry. This guide aims to provide some basic steps to resolving the more common problems we see at Mac-Forums. While this guide is by no means comprehensive, hopefully one of the methods below helps to get your Mac back on the right track.

Method One: Quick Fixes

Restart your computer

This may seem obvious, but many times we're so used to just letting our computers sleep when we're not using them, we don't think much about the occasional need to do a full reboot. Sometimes simply... ... Return to article to continue reading.

Reaction score
Having been through these steps numerous times under the guidance of Mac Applecare techs with a seven month-old 15" Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and re-installing the OS twice all I can say is that I've got a 'LEMON'! The claimed reliability of Apple Mac and its software in no way resembles my experience to date. I've posted a thread to this effect in the hope someone out there has a solution:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well if it is seven months old it is not running Snow Leopard. All computers sold since July 2011 have Lion installed. Just take it back if it is under warranty.

Reaction score
Thank you for responding.

I'm in Australia and the machine sold to me by an authorised Mac reseller had SnowLeopard installed. Not being a Mac afficianado, I didn't know that the upgrade to Lion was imminent or I'd have delayed my purchase by a month or two. I do now know that within weeks of my purchase Lion was introduced; my intro to Mac at the Apple store in August was all on Lion.

In any case, I've now learned from Applecare that the later updates to Snow Leopard are the cause of the problem and that a fix should soon be released. Nice of Apple not to let on until pressed! I'm now scared that Apple doesn't support superseded versions of its software for very long. Even Microsoft is still supporting my old WinXP, SP3 - but not for much longer. How old is that?

However I do love the hardware and its build quality is superb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Contact Apple as you are entitled to a free download of Lion and report you purchased the MB in August with Snow Leopard. Better to complain to Apple than us!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.