parallels help!

Reaction score
Installed windows 7 on my mac using a boot camp partition but could not install drivers for lion os x so i installed parallels and ran it on that. It worked fine but i tried to use it play games and it was incredibly laggy. Is there any way i can speed up parallels

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
3D performance in a virtual machine is basic at best. If you're looking to do anything that is the least bit demanding of your GPU, Boot Camp is really the only way to go. Can we assume that you're trying to play a 3D game?

OP
B
Reaction score
I am. I am trying to play the old republic and i have managed to make it work by making my windows 7, as undemanding as possible and making the battery performance the best it can be and it just about works. The problem with boot camp is that i have lion and i cannot install the lion drivers because i dont have a lion disk, so i tried to install the drivers using the snow leopard disk and it told me that it was not compatible or something. So without access to networking hardware, i cannot play the old republic through boot camp. That is why i am trying to get parallels to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You don't need a Lion disc to install the bootcamp drivers (and even if such a disc existed it wouldn't have the drivers on as Snow Leopard did. The mechanism for getting the drivers has changed)

When you ran the bootcamp assistant to partition the drive for Windows you will have been given the option to download a driver set for your particular Mac. The driver set can be written to CD or to a USB stick and then, once booted in Windows it's used to install the required drivers.

If you didn't do this you can re-run the Bootcamp Assistant while in Lion, do the download to create the driver set and then cancel out prior to the partition part.

Incidentally, once you have the drivers installed, run the apple software update to ensure you have the latest version of Windows Bootcamp app, then go to the ATI website and download the latest mobility graphics card drivers for your particular Radeon card (you'll get better games performance than the standard drivers this way).

OP
B
Reaction score
is this the 'latest windows support software for mac' that it describes when you first boot up boot camp, if so where do i find it on my compeer to put it on a disc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.