What software for a building design??

Reaction score
hi all, I'm trying to design a house extension, I need to do some basic plans to show an architect what I have in mind..nothing too fancy just line drawings with size and icons for doors etc..is there an app or software that is pretty idiot proof, I don't want to spend a lot as its a one off , just thought it might be a bit of fun doing it this way rather than using piles of paper.....thanks

Reaction score
Not sure how crazy you would want to go, but I like Google SketchUp for modeling our trade show booths and such. It's free and not super hard to learn. I used a lot of Youtube at the beginning to get a hang at it. Once you have your model, you can showcase everything in 3D or export images from different angles.

Google SketchUp
Getting started with Google SketchUp - YouTube

Hope that helps and good luck :)

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks , I will go and see what its like..3D sounds good but probably way over my head as I have never done this sort of thing before..any other options ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
Sweethome 3D is free, opensource and runs on Lion. It is drag and drop and can be as simple or complex as you need it to be. I used it on Linux before I switched to Mac. Here is the link.

Sweet Home 3D

Bill

OP
L
Reaction score
is there a 2D floor plan option anywhere..all these 3D are just too involved for what I need..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.